Having run into this frustration with VMware + Intel NICs at $JOB-1, I feel
 your pain :)

 By default, the ixgbe driver does not allow unsupported SFPs (

https://github.com/joyent/illumos-joyent/blob/master/usr/src/uts/common/io/ixgbe/ixgbe_sw.h#L172).
 However it does mean there is a driver property (allowed_unsupported_sfp)
 that can be changed to allow it.  Standard disclaimer —  I’ve not tested
 any of this, I would not try this on anything resembling production (if the
 ixgbe.conf file is messed up, it’s possible the system won’t boot), and of
 course you assume any risk of using third party optics.

 The driver properties for the ixgbe driver are in /kernel/drv/ixgbe.conf.
 The shipped version has no settings enabled (i.e. everything is default)
 and you will need to replace this file with a version that enables the
 allowed_unsupported_sfp property.  The comments in the shipped file should
 tell you how to determine the device path used to identify each card.  Once
 you have your modified version of the file,
 http://blog.shalman.org/overriding-driver-config-files-on-smartos/ has some
 info on how to then configure grub so that this modified version will
 replace the shipped version on boot.

 On September 27, 2017 at 9:46:51 AM, Rob Seastrom (rs-li...@seastrom.com)