Have any of you tried
http://wiki.debian.org/DebianOnFreeRunner/UsbKeyboard
but on /dev/tty1? No X windows.

Here's how you test it:
# adduser lll # with passwd lll, as I'm sure I can type l's
# cat nono
/etc/init.d/nodm stop
sleep 222
/etc/init.d/nodm start #else you'll have to reboot.
# nohup sh nono

I can log into account lll, and type [a-z] and see them echoed back
correctly. [0-9] and punctuation characters are not interpreted
correctly. E.g., typing 2 echos a @, while typing 1 echos nothing. 4
(0x34) becomes $ (0x24, one bit mangled). Surprisingly the arrow keys
are interpreted correctly by bash.

Earlier I couldn't even type some of [a-z], e.g., "e". But maybe
installing kbd console-common console-data fixed that. stty shows
nothing odd.

You had better use the above script to play around with it for 222
seconds, as of course CTRL ALT F4 or F7 etc. are mangled, so there is
no getting back to nodm any other way.