Hi Johannes,

sorry for the late answer. I’ve been busy recently, and it seems Jan
even more so. Genrally, you’ll get faster responses on a mailing list.

I’m sending my reply to smartphones-userland, as others might have
interesting things to add. Note that you need to be subscribed to post
to that list.

Am Mittwoch, den 10.12.2008, 09:56 +0100 schrieb Johannes Schauer:
> i was redirected to you two by codehelp in the #debian-arm channel on
> irc.debian.org. if you are not the right persons to contact with this
> issue, maybe you can redirect me to the right one.
>
> I'm the guy who first installed and documented debian armel on the
> openmoko neo1973 [1] and since i'm unhappy with the bundling of the fso
> software stack with the current "official" debian version for openmoko
> mobile phones i still want to maintain my instructions how to
> debootstrap the manual way to get a "clean" debian installation.

It’s a valid point. I guess we could improve the installer.sh to
optionally exclude fso-stuff from being installed.

> a problem i currently encounter concerns the touchscreen of the neo1973
> and freerunner which stopped being calibrated correctly with the latest
> updates of xserver-xorg-input-tslib to version 0.0.5.
> even though the /etc/pointercal stayed the same the cursor is in the
> wrong place. a user in the openmoko wiki documented this behaviour in my
> guide and found out an alternative pointercal by trial and error.
>
> instead of doing the same i wanted to have this issue fixed so i joined
> the #debian-arm channel and got immediate help by codehelp.
>
> ts_test and ts_calibrate from the libts-bin package work correctly and
> ts_test lets me draw in the correct position but the pointercal file
> generated by ts_calibrate is afterwards read incorrectly by the xorg
> driver. codehelp told me that this is only and issue on *some* devices
> as he has the same on his balloon board but the new tslib xorg version
> worked fine on other hardware.
> apparently ts_test always works correctly on all devices and the only
> problems only occur when xorg with the tslib driver comes into the mix.

Yes, this is my understanding as well. ts_test is producing an
authoritative pointercal file.

> another issue is the documentation of libts-bin - i had a hard time
> finding out these env variables that are documented nowhere and are even
> hard to find out about in the internet [2]:
> export TSLIB_TSDEVICE=/dev/input/event1
> export TSLIB_CONSOLEDEVICE=none
> export TSLIB_CALIBFILE=/etc/pointercal
> export TSLIB_CONFFILE=/etc/ts.conf
> export TSLIB_PLUGINDIR=/lib/ts
> export TSLIB_FBDEVICE=/dev/fb0
> export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/lib
>
> without the first three ts_test and ts_calibrated refused to work but
> there was nothing to find in the corresponding man page.

There was some process on
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=497516 but I’m sure the
libts-bin maintainers appreciate any help there.

> the last thing i want to bother you about is some patches that
> suihkulokki pointed out here [3]
>
> but maybe codehelp already forwarded those patches.

Sorry, don’t know anything about these.

> [1] http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Manual_Debian
> [2] http://zylix666.blogspot.com/2008/07/linux-distributionubuntu-8.html
> [3] http://git.openembedded.net/?p=openembedded.git;f=packages/ \
>     xorg-driver/xf86-input-tslib;hb=HEAD
> [4] http://sicherheitsschwankung.de/post/jan/2007-08-26/debian-neo1973

Thanks for your mail. I hope that the others on the list can comment on
the pointercal problem, to see if it is really a problem. At least I
thought that X would now happily use the same pointercal that’ fine for
ts_test, but that is on a FreeRunner. Maybe the neo1973 is different?

Greetings,
Joachim
--
Joachim "nomeata" Breitner