Hi there!

On Sat, 06 Dec 2008 21:27:32 +0100, e.waelde wrote:
> the wiki page at
> http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Debian

Without reiterating what I posted at

http://lists.linuxtogo.org/pipermail/smartphones-userland/2008-November/000371.html

> Howto: Running X as a normal user
>
> Slight changes, when X is started via /etc/init.d/nodm
>
> 1. Create a new user
>
> # NAME=<user_name>
> # useradd -m -G audio,dialout,floppy,video,staff ${NAME}

While useradd is provided in Debian as well, the advised tool to be used
on Debian is adduser, simply because "[adduser and addgroup] are
friendlier front ends to the low level tools like useradd, groupadd and
usermod programs, by default choosing Debian policy conformant UID and
GID values" (from `man adduser`).

> # passwd ${NAME}

This is already asked by adduser.

> 4. Edit /etc/X11/Xwrapper.config
>
> -allowed_users=console
> +allowed_users=anybody

IIRC this should not be needed, i.e. nodm should already take care of
everything with the default /etc/X11/Xwrapper.config (as the other *DM
packages do).  Do you mind opening a bug in the Debian BTS, so we do no
forget it?

> 5. Make apm setuid root
> so that zhone can do suspend and make it only executable for
> users in the staff group
>
> # dpkg-statoverride --update --add root staff 4750 /usr/bin/apm

If I have understood correctly Michael, this will not be needed anymore
when fso-apm will be available

  http://trac.freesmartphone.org/ticket/121

Thx, bye,
Gismo / Luca