Arigead wrote:
> - "While convenient, building with FsoMakefile does not
> - tell you much about what is going on under the hood.
> - FsoMakefile automatically downloads an OpenEmbedded
> - build tree, configures it to build FSO and then builds
> - the image."
>
> I'd like to get a better idea of what's going on under the hood

Actually, the output from running the FsoMakefile is *exactly* the same
output you get from running bitbake commands manually.  And the
configuration files produced by the 'setup' target in the FsoMakefile
are *exactly* the same configuration files you would create manually.
So I just don't get why people say that using a Makefile doesn't tell
you much about what is going on under the hood.  I think the difference
is whether someone actually cares to look what is going on or not.

> I have set up the build environment as per the instructions and have
> used openembedded before for building for gumstix boards but the
> instructions bitbake fso-image do not work.

http://tinderbox.openembedded.net/packages/348140/ shows that it does
work on the FSO autobuilder.  And the configuration of that autobuilder
is public in the contents of the Makefile and the two files in the
http://downloads.freesmartphone.org/fso-milestone5/conf/ area, so it
should be reproducible too.

-- Rod