Hi,

Sorry for not having the answer, but I would like to add another
question: if you disable eth0 by not using "auto"
in /etc/network/interfaces, then doesn't the driver simply disable the
hardware? So is "ifdown eth0" not enough to save power?

If so, then not having it enable at startup would mean to remove the
"auto eth0" from your interfaces configuration. And that should be
enough to save power.

Bram