Hi Sebastian!

Going back to the real subject of this thread :-)

On Fri, 13 Mar 2009 21:07:00 +0100, Sebastian Reichel wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 11:53:46AM +0100, Luca Capello wrote:
>> I have a very strong opinion about binary blobs, thus they must be
>> removed from the kernel package and if they are really needed for
>> *basic* usage (GSM, GPS and WiFi), we should provide them in separate
>> packages, e.g. the firmware-iwlwifi one.
>
> As far as I know GPS has no blobs on GTA02, Wifi firmware can't be
> updatet (at least at the moment) and firmware is on the chip. GSM
> firmware must be updatet by hand, so it can't be the GSM firmware
> either. From the names of the files it looks like firmwares for
> devices, which are not build into the Freerunner, but could be
> attached via USB.

This was my impression as well: these firmwares are not needed by
default.  However, I still do not understand why they are built: are
they useful for the debug board?

>> I do not have the time nor the willing to do the research mentioned just
>> above, thus I would be glad if anyone other would provide comments
>> and/or suggestions.
>
> Since they are not needed for build in hardware - just kick it out
> for the moment? Another method would be to create a new

I would guess you were writing "a new package" ;-)

I tested a kernel package with the /lib/firmware/ folder removed and it
seems there is no difference at all.

Because of the above, I am now building the 2.6.29 kernel image without
the /lib/firmware/: I do not plan to offer these firmware files in
another package until someone will ask for them.  In any case, this will
means providing non-free packages which will be later included in the
firmware-nonfree source one:

  http://packages.qa.debian.org/f/firmware-nonfree.html

Thx, bye,
Gismo / Luca