Hi there!

I cc:ed the smartphones-userland mailing list to let them know that I
will work on this issue, but since this is a Debian-specific issue,
please continue on the pkg-fso-maint@ mailing list (I set R-T and M-F-T
accordingly).  Moreover, I bcc:ed Risto H. Kurppa, who informed the
pkg-fso team of this issue.

As we all know, U-Boot and Qi do not expect the same default kernel
image to be loaded from microSD: the former wants uImage.bin (but this
can be changed in the sd_image_name variable), the latter wants
uImage-GTA0[123].bin.

NB, before going on: *on purpose* I avoided any comment about Qi
behavior and I did not consider that Qi expect /boot to be on the root
partition, since both discussions do not belong in this thread.

Now, the Debian install.sh script should already deal with it:

#
# Stage kernel
#
action_kernel () {
        echo "Installing kernel package"

[...]

        if [ "$QI" = "true" ]; then
                echo "Prepare system for booting with Qi"
                BOOT_DIR="$INST_DIR/boot/boot"
                if [ "$SINGLE_PART" = "true" ]; then
                        BOOT_DIR="$INST_DIR/boot"
                        ln -fs uImage.bin $BOOT_DIR/uImage-GTA02.bin
                else
                        mkdir $BOOT_DIR
                        ln -fs ../uImage.bin $BOOT_DIR/uImage-GTA02.bin
                fi

While this should work, since I have never tested it since I have never
used Qi, please report any error at least to the pkg-fso-maint@ mailing
list.  However, this does not cover existing installation, i.e. the case
where someone would like to switch from U-Boot to Qi.  Moreover, the
kernel symlink is something that should be managed by the kernel
package, in a way similar to the /vmlinuz symlink on desktop
installations.

The only solution I see for this problem is a debconf question, asked
the first time the kernel package is installed: according to the user
answer (U-Boot or Qi), the postinst script will create the correct
symlink.  This answers both questions above.

I will implement the debconf question in the next days, if no one will
complain before.  Other, maybe easier, suggestions are welcome, as well.

Thx, bye,
Gismo / Luca