jffs2 is a flash fs, not suited for e g sd cards.

  I thought SD cards were using flash memory internally.  Wikipedia
mentions "NAND flash", is it something different?

what wikipedia entry?
whatever an sd card uses internally is usally no concern to the user since it exposes a "normal" (as opposed to flash) data medium. all those specific operation like wear leveling and error correction are done internally. iirc, that's what jffs2 does for media not providing those features themselves.

i installed debian into both flash and sd card partition.
one partition on sd card serves as swap.
i had issues with sd card months ago including i/o errors and data
loss (most notably /var/lib/dpkg/status), but after some
reorganization and updates it went away and never came back.

  Ah.  You wouldn't remember what kind of reorganisations, would you?

i doubt, it was somehow causal to the disappearance of my issues, but anyway:
- mounted /tmp/ and /var/[log, spool, ...] to tmpfs
- moved /var/lib/dpkg to flash (link)
- moved /bin, /sbin, /usr/sbin, /lib and some of /usr/bin to flash
- flashed kernel, i don't boot from sd card

after all, it got rather complex and has some minor side effects:
- with at least one python package one has to remember to correct a link -- because of the intricate linking schema, a relative link is broken (../../ leads to the wrong directory) and has always to be replaced by a absolute path - locale-gen tries to create a file in a directory in flash -- since jffs2 does not provide a necessary feature it fails with a rather unintuitive error. linking the directory in question do the sd card helps, but adds to the complexity

otoh:
i got a system that will boot from flash and be accessible by ssh even when the sd card fails.

likely not caused by the sd card itself, but rather by the kernel resp
the glamo.

  I went from xserver-xglamo to xserver-xorg-video-glamo recently.
Could it be linked?

by the glamo i menat the whole infrastructure, the glamo is more than just graphics, it even handles the communication with gps and sd card.

with certain sd card sizes a kernel parameter was required either at
boot or via sysfs, but i am not quite sure inhowfar that still
applies.

  Hm.  This is a 4 GB Sandisk micro-SDHC card.

which one? i remember having serious issues with 4g sandisk. switching to another manufacturer helped (something with K). the wiki should still have a table with sd cards reported to work or have issues.
ah, here goes:
http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Supported_microSD_cards
kingston 8g is what i use.

- error messages?

  dmesg currently loops on the following chunk (no X comes up, and the
screen is blanked and redisplayed from time to time, ending in the usual
"$hostname login:"

[21474648.160000] fbcon_event_notify action=1, data=c7b97dc8
[21474653.700000] fbcon_event_notify action=12, data=c7b97da4
[21474653.700000] jbt6k74 spi2.0: **** jbt6k74 unblank
[21474653.725000] fbcon_event_notify action=9, data=c7b97de0
[21474653.725000] jbt6k74 spi2.0: **** jbt6k74 unblank

i think these are only informative, debug messages (see f ex http://docs.openmoko.org/trac/ticket/2265) and adding/modifying a loglevel param in your u-boot helps.

  I also got this twice:

[  153.580000] glamo-mci glamo-mci.0: command timeout, continuing

  Then I tried a dist-upgrade, but it must have been lucky and not
touched the wrong nerve.  So I decided to cause some more write
activity, and I ran "aptitude reinstall" on all installed packages (by
chunks), to hopefully fix corrupted files that happened before.  I got
some aptitude internal errors, and I eventually got tired.  I'm
currently doing a backup of the micro-SD card under OM2007.2 by running
"ssh mokomir tar cvf - /media/mmcblk0p2 > root.tar" from the computer.
So far I got a few chunks of the following:

mmc0: starting CMD18 arg 0070cd10 flags 000000b5
mmc0:     blksz 512 blocks 32 flags 00000200 tsac 100 ms nsac 0
mmc0:     CMD12 arg 00000000 flags 0000049d
mmc0: req done (CMD18): 0: 00000900 00003f92 00000000 00000000
mmc0:     16384 bytes transferred: 0
mmc0:     (CMD12): 0: 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000

well, at least that's definitely the sd card -- whatever it means.