Hello.

We are alway looking for new hardware we can run FSO on. Sadly such hardware is
not as easy available as we would like. We learnt a lot leassons anti-vendor
ports we were involved in.

1. If you want the project to be successfull it needs to have a solid base in a
   short to medium timeframe.

2. You need hardware that a lot people are using to widen ure user and developer
   base.

3. Make sure that the used chips are well known, have linux drivers and
hopefully
   documents available.

To many projects we wanted to success struggle for existence in a state that is
not ready for FSO to be based on. Windows mobile reverse engineering and the
highly integrated designes of smartphones makes it hard for a community project
to reach a stable system level base in a medium time frame.

We searched for a device that uses a more or less sane 2.6 linux kernel by
default, allows us to change this kernel and likely will have a big user base.

The most interesting device we found in this area was the Palm Pre. The linux
kernel it uses is based on 2.6.24 and the patch from palm is available on the
website. It also uses a OMAP3 SoC which is both powerfull and well supported in
newer linux kernel. Something that maybe gives us an upgrade path later. It also
is a device with all goodies and features stuffed into a nice ID which will
attract tons ones people.

They CDMA version is available in the US for quite some time now and the awesome
people from http://www.webos-internals.org/ already found a lot informations
about the device and its system. Based on the shoulder of giants we will no try
to bring a full FSO system onto the Palm Pre. Starting from 2009-10-13, the
german launch date of the GSM Palm Pre flavour, we will hack one month to get a
first GSM audio call running on the Pre with FSO and optional an UI. :)

The challenge is focused on the core elements here, no distractions. We don't
start a kernel project here or trying to make it all perfect and shiny from the
beginning. What we want is a fast success, build a user and developer base and
make the system better step-by-step. We have listed the critical steps here:

http://www.freesmartphone.org/index.php/Palm_Pre_Challenge

If we need to do hacks to stay in the time frame we will do it. If time is fine
we will do it right the first time.

Of course we are looking for people that are interested. For now we have the FSO
core team plus morphis as a team. If you want to help out let us know what you
want to do. But please stay within the goals we set for this first month. If you
like to start a kernel project or hacking on the sgx 3D unit, etc. that all
great but nothing this challenge will cover. (We will come back to you later :))

Spread the word, let interested people now!

regards
Stefan Schmidt on behalf of the other challenge team members