Hi,

yet another annoying thing about automatic suspend/resume is that the
display turns on at resume time. If you use GPRS and automatic suspend
then incoming GPRS packets will resume the system. Now combine this
with unsolicited IP traffic from Windows worms and you have the
backlight going on and off all the time, very annoying :-)

My current solution: Save backlight brightness and state on suspend
and restore it on suspend. Suspend hook:

backlight="$(backlight)"

# Keep the backlight off and turn it on in resume hook only after we have
# restored the DPMS state.
backlight 0

# This is ugly as it depends on access to DISPLAY of normal user
monitor="$(xset q | grep "^  Monitor is")"

Resume hook:

if [ "$monitor" = "  Monitor is Off" ]; then
    xset dpms force off
fi
if [ "$backlight" != "" ]; then
    backlight "$backlight"
else
    backlight 255
fi

Is this again something that could be solved in the kernel?

-Timo