On Sat, Jan 09, 2010 at 01:18:55PM +0100, Luca Capello wrote:
> Hi there!
>
> Just a quick note...
>
> On Wed, 06 Jan 2010 21:45:53 +0100, Sebastian Reichel wrote:
> > On Wed, Jan 06, 2010 at 01:34:04PM -0500, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> >> Is there a Debian package for a kernel newer than 2.6.29 somewhere
> >> (for GTA02, that is)?
> >
> > no there is no newer kernel than 2.6.29, since the one who created
> > the kernel packages (luca) is no longer available.
>
> Note that I *am* available (no one has tried to directly contact me),
> but I mostly read the mailing lists without any interaction.  And I have
> probably forgot to announce on other channels than debian-private, but I
> was busy with finishing my PhD thesis:
>
>   http://www.lucas-nussbaum.net/blog/?p=422
>
> I will be away at least one more week (snowboarding holidays) and then I
> need to rethink about my FSO/Debian involvement (more will be sent to
> the appropriate mailing list).

oh, my understanding of unavailable actually is "being busy with something
else", but nice to hear, that you are still alive :) I hope you will continue
packaging the kernel for us once you get more time again.

> Note that now that 2.6.32 (the first mainline version that can at least
> boot on GTA02) is officially in Debian, we must have an official minimum
> s3c24xx kernel:
>
>   http://bugs.debian.org/503292

As far as I read it is really a "that can at least boot" kernel. Is
there any good reason to have a kernel resulting in non working
display? IMHO this will only be interesting once support for cpu and
display has been added to mainline.

> > We also lack lack man power, so it doesn't look like we will get one
> > in the near future.
>
> We will, for sure, if I will continue working on these stuff.

That's nice to hear :)

> > But if somebody sends me a matching .config file AND the link to the
> > correct git repository I can make a kernel package with make-kpkg.
>
> That is wrong, you should follow either how the pkg-fso kernel package
> is built or the main Debian kernel package build system.
>
> But please, no one should jump on it and do stuff in a rush only because
> there is not an "official" Debian package for newer kernels: you can
> easily use SHR kernels and indeed this would be even better, since you
> can test kernel bugs on two different distros.

I didn't tought about this much when I wrote my mail as I was busy
with the SHR stuff, but I probably would have updated your packaging
anyway. Nevertheless I prefere not to copy files from other distris
into my system.

-- Sebastian