Hi,

  My recently upgraded FreeRunner is giving me more and more
satisfaction every day (using the Debian/SHR stack).  There is,
however, something I'm not quite sure is working good.

  I got myself a “car charger” converting the 12 volts socket in my
motorbike to USB power, so I would be able to record long rides with the
GPS on (I do a bit of Openstreetmap from time to time).  I tested it
today for a short ride, but it seems the FreeRunner doesn't get enough
out of it.  The Enlightenment battery icon does have the “+” symbol on
it, showing that charging happens, but over the course of half an hour
the actual charge level went *down* by a few percents.  Probably less
than it would have if unplugged, but still down.

  I seem to remember there used to be (in OM 2007.2?) an option
somewhere to force the charging rate, with choices of 100 mA, 500 mA or
1000 mA.  If memory serves, the default was a conservative 100 mA, but
500 mA would be selected if the USB host (or hub) successfully
negociated that amount of power; the 1000 mA option would always require
manual intervention, to protect normal USB hubs or ports but being able
to take advantage of the OpenMoko-provided 1000 mA capable charger.

  So, a few questions:

- Who's in charge (haha) of the charging rate?  Is it the framework, the
  kernel, something else entirely?
- Is there a way currently to set the charging rate?  I can live with
  command-line, or Python, or whatever, I'll write a script anyway :-)
- Are there plans to (re)introduce the charging rate control UI?

  Thanks for any insights,

Roland.
--
Roland Mas

Time passed, which, basically, is its job.
  -- in Equal Rites (Terry Pratchett)