On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 05:56:56PM +0200, Simon Busch wrote:
> On 27.08.2010 15:12, Dr. Michael Lauer wrote:
> >Applied both patches. Sorry for the delay and thanks!

thanks for applying it :) They are needed for N900
proximity plugin and will also be needed for some gpio
based buttons of the N900.

> >Could you give us a summary about the state of N900 support?
>
> I talked with Sebastion already about his efforts on getting FSO
> support for the N900. The big blocker was as it should in most
> devices: The modem. There was some logic missing which enables the
> modem. But now there some code in ofono which we can port to a
> lowlevel_n900 plugin for fsogsmd which does all the magic. It only
> writes to some sysfs entries. This should be only a very small part
> of the integration work.

It's not yet in ofono, but available as patch on their mailinglist.
Putting this aside you are right :)

> The biggest thing for getting N900 modem support in FSO is the
> protocol. It's called isi or phonet, I don't really now. But there
> is code too in ofono which we can extract and use in fsogsmd. Maybe
> Sebastian can tell us more in detail how complex this is.

ok, let me start with explaining the phonet/isi name:

Phonet is an abstract protocol from the Linux kernel:
http://lwn.net/Articles/303274/

ISI (Intelligent service interface) is the protocol spoken by the
modem of the N900, which is phonet + definition of appended data.

> The next big thing for the N900 was the battery, but as I found out
> there is now a script which does the battery handling. Don't know
> which features it supports actually, but it activates the battery
> via i2c. Maybe nothing we really want in directly in FSO.

actually it is not about the battery, but just about charging the
battery. Reading the battery status is already supported by FSO
after loading the bq27x00_battery kernel driver. The current script
charges the battery until it's full and exit. The specs for the
charging chip are publically available from TI by the way.

> About the other components I don't know, but Sebastion has made a
> great overview which components has which status actually. You will
> find it here: https://elektranox.org/n900/status/index.html

You can see what is needed for fsodeviced here:
https://elektranox.org/n900/todo.html

> As Sebastian living only some steps away from me, he and me will
> meet in the near future and talk a little bit about hacking in FSO.
> Maybe I can help him to bring N900 support to FSO.

I'll definitively need some help for the fsogsmd plugin. I'll
contact you via xmpp for a date :)

> >Could you give us a summary about the state of N900 support?

For the modem I made good progress in the last days after my chat
with Simon:

I wrote myself a small skript which does the sysfs modem enabling
and then concentrated on the stuff happening afterwards. I was able
to enter my SIM's PIN and do different Network related stuff (e.g.
getting a list of available providers). See my test program here:

https://git.ring0.de/libisi/tree/test/test.vala

I have not yet tried to integrate this into fsogsmd and for now
my plans are to improve the library:

https://git.ring0.de/libisi/plain/TODO

> >Chances are I'll get a N900 soon and I can help with a couple of things
> >in FSO2.

cool :)

-- Sebastian

[1] https://elektranox.org/n900/status/index.html