From: Smcwg-public <smcwg-public-boun...@cabforum.org> On Behalf Of Martijn
Katerbarg via Smcwg-public
Sent: Monday, October 16, 2023 7:38 PM
To: Adriano Santoni <adriano.sant...@staff.aruba.it>; SMIME Certificate Working
Group <smcwg-public@cabforum.org>
Subject: Re: [Smcwg-public] [External Sender] Re: Re: SV certificates devoid of
individual attributes

Happy to work with you on that. I do wonder what the cause and original intent
behind this was.

I wonder if they key lies in the Note added to section 7.1.4.2.5:
“Legacy Generation profiles MAY omit the subject:givenName, subject:surname,
and subject:pseudonym attributes and include only the subject:commonName as
described in Section
7.1.4.2.2(a)<https://github.com/cabforum/smime/blob/main/SBR.md#71422-subject-distinguished-name-fields>.”

Could it be that the original intent here was that subject:givenName,
subject:surname and subject:pseudonym are allowed to be left out, only if
subject:commonName was included and had either the pseudonym or
givenName+surname in it?
I could see that as a possible legacy use case, with the intend to deprecate.
I’m not sure if any CA needs that use case at current though.

Regards,

Martijn

From: Smcwg-public
<smcwg-public-boun...@cabforum.org<mailto:smcwg-public-boun...@cabforum.org>>
on behalf of Adriano Santoni via Smcwg-public
<smcwg-public@cabforum.org<mailto:smcwg-public@cabforum.org>>