On 16/5/2024 3:06 μ.μ., Adriano Santoni via Smcwg-public wrote:

At any rate, even with a digital signature made with an eIDAS qualified certificate, you (the CA) cannot tell - in general - whether the certificate was issued after identifying the Applicant with the method described in eIDAS Article 24-1a, rather than 24-1b, or 24-1c, or 24-1d. So it is quite possible that a certain an eIDAS qualified certificate, taken at random, was issued with any of those 4 methods as regards the individual identity vetting, AFAIK.

There has been a lot of debate on this issue, in ETSI ESI, FESA and ECATS. The general expectation is that if a TSP is not certain how the relied-upon certificate has been originally issued, to confirm that it was issued according to 24-1a or 24-1b, it should not accept it for 24-1c. Different interpretations may exist but IMO the Regulation is clear on this issue.

Obviously the TSP knows how its own certificates have been issued and can easily apply 24-1c.

Dimitris.

Adriano