I have recently installed smokeping and have both a 'master' and 'slave' system
working.

However, when I installed the two instances of smokeping, on their respective
servers, they installed with different uids & gids to each other.  I elected to
amend the uid & gid of the 'master' instance, to bring them in line with each
other, because the corresponding uid & gid was already in use on the 'slave'
system.

The first problem I'm now experiencing is that when I add a new target to the
master system the new location folder and rrds within are created with the
old(original) gid, which no longer has any group associated with it.  When I
manually correct the gid/group ownership the new targets work ok.

The second problem is that when a new target is added, smokeping sets (or
attempts to set) the folder and rrd user and group ownership to the smokeping
user & group but for smokeping to work properly with slaves the htmld/apache
user needs access - in my case I'm setting the group ownership to the apache
group i.e. www-data.  So even if I wasn't experiencing the first problem of the
incorrect gid being set I'd still have to manually change the permissions
anyway.

I can't see where the old gid is being picked up from - I thought I found and
updated the user and group ownership of all the files owned by the smokeping
user and group when I changed the smokeping uid & gid but I guess it's possible
I've missed one.

LeeE