Title: Re: [smokeping-users] Smokeping performance and scalability on high resolution probes
A step time of five seconds is pretty short. [An understatement]

I can't imagine you need that level of granularity. And if you keep any substantial history your RRD database will be quite large.

I use a 60 second step for production, and I've never felt I needed higher resolution. If I've got some problem that's occuring at intervals of less than one minute, I'm probably going to be using wireshark or something else real-time to capture it and evaluate it. Obviously you'll have to decide yourself what level of granularity you need, but IMO, going with a 5 second poll is way overkill.

I'm not even sure that SP can handle a sub 60 second step - it seems I tinkered with a 30 second poll and it wigged out - but that's been a long time ago and my recollection is fuzzy.

I'd guess if you live with a >=60 sec poll, most of the issues you're complaining about go away.

---
That said:
There are things you can do to change the fping's behavior, see the "-T", "-t", "-n" and "-p" options.
By sending pings faster, closer together, not waiting for replies as long etc, you can pump more of them out.
This can obviously cause *lots* of other problems and impact the accuracy and utility of fping and smokeping, but may be appropriate in some cases. [I assume you're attempting to measure very high-speed links and thus the reason for <60 second polls, in which case, running fping in a very high-performance mode may make sense. If you do this to a DSL connection, for example, expect completely bogus/wrong/misleading results.]

I think there are similar things you can do with TCPPing, but can't recall.

---
Given your DB settings, you're keeping ~53 hours of full res data, but only 3 days of 60 sec data, and 6 days of 12min data. Seems really odd choices for data retention to me... Smokeping is really not intended, IMO, to be a real-time, very-short granularity tool. It's strength is moderate granularity and long-term data retention that allows you to see trends and long-term patterns. So, I think you're using the tool in ways it was never intended to be used and are having problems as a result.

It would be like using MTRG with a 1 second poll.

HTH

-Greg

Hi,

I'm currently trying to configure a smokeping server for diagnostic of our network.

I have manage to make it work but I'm having a couple of issues :

1) How can I reduce the number of ping without getting this error when smokeping generate the graph (In this example, I have set the config to 10 pings) :

"ERROR: No DS called 'ping11' in <rrd file>

2) The other problem is with the performance of tcpping or fping. The probe is working but it take too long to complete. As my step is 5 second, I need the probe to be as quick as possible.
Sure, if I can reduce the number of ping, I will gain some time. The concurentprobes variable is on (tried off too).

I currently have 30 targets running with Fping, wich complete in 5 sec (limit for the 5 sec of my interval).
If I switch to TCPPing, it take 42 sec.

My config:

*** Database ***
step     = 3
pings    = 5

# consfn mrhb steps total

AVERAGE  0.5   1  38400
AVERAGE  0.5  12  4320
    MIN  0.5  12  4320
    MAX  0.5  12  4320
AVERAGE  0.5 144   720
    MAX  0.5 144   720
    MIN  0.5 144   720

*** Presentation ***

template = /opt/smokeping/etc/basepage.html

+ overview

width = 600
height = 50
range = 1h

+ detail

width = 600
height = 200
unison_tolerance = 2

"Last 3 Hours"    3h
"Last 30 Hours"   30h
"Last 10 Days"    10d
"Last 400 Days"   400d

*** Probes ***

+ TCPPing

binary = /usr/bin/tcpping
forks = 500
offset = random
step = 3
timeout = 2
pings = 5
port = 22

+ FPing
binary = /usr/sbin/fping
blazemode = true
hostinterval = 0.001
mininterval = 0.001
offset = random
packetsize = 12
pings = 5
step = 3
timeout = 1.5

The machine :
model name      : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU           X5660  @ 2.80GHz
MemTotal:        1922436 kB

The OS :
CentOS release 6.5 (Final)
Linux 2.6.32-431.11.2.el6.x86_64 #1 SMP Tue Mar 25 19:59:55 UTC 2014 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

The App:
SmokePing-2.6.9
fping: Version 3.10
tcpping v1.7 Richard van den Berg