But I discarded that as well since I thought it was kind of "overkill," and I
didn't know whether SmokePing would eventually cache the nameserver lookup.

Smokeping doesn't cache any DNS information - it simply calls fping with
whatever IP/FQDN and fping does the lookup, if any.
The name server won't/shouldn't cache anything longer than the TTL on the zone
A record. [Which should be in your control in this case.]
I use ddns entries as targets regularly and have no problem.

IMO, you're over thinking this. Scripting a ddns type update will require not
much time and works fine. [I'd guess you could update a DDNS entry by setting
up the PPPoE in your router - virtually all have provision to update a ddns
record when the interface changes. It's been a while since I messed with PPPoE,
but that's the way I recall it.]

-Greg