http://www.12lead.net/index.cfm?dspPage=research#hospital

"Evidence supports the contention that out of hospital 12-lead ECG
diagnostic
programs are cost effective and may be underused.  We recommend
implementation of out-of-hospital 12-lead ECG diagnostic programs in
urban
and suburban paramedic systems (Class 1)."
Circulation 2000; 102 (suppl I):1-176

RESEARCH
Quick Links
 Should Paramedics utilize 12-Lead Electrocardiography in the field?
 Does the 12-lead extend on scene times or reduce door to drug times?
 How often is general weakness a sign of AMI?
 List of Indications for pre-hospital 12 lead
 List of Indications for Transcutaneous Pacing
 Does Performing a 12-lead ECG reduce mortality?
 Do paramedics administer Aspirin when indicated?

Should Paramedics utilize 12-Lead
Electrocardiography in the field?

Personal note:
I have been fighting for acceptance of prehospital 12-lead ECG since
1980.  The evidence has finally caught up with the facts.  Paramedics
can and should utilize 12-lead ECG's in the field.  These references
are provided for your convenience.  They may be useful in preparing
requests for funding of a 12-lead ECG program for your service.
-Gary Denton

Consider the following statements and the associated references.

Here is the statement that says it all...
"Evidence supports the contention that out of hospital 12-lead ECG
diagnostic programs are cost effective and may be underused.  We
recommend implementation of out-of-hospital 12-lead ECG diagnostic
programs in urban and suburban paramedic systems (Class 1)."
Circulation 2000; 102 (suppl I):1-176
References and works that led to this decision are outlined below.

Statement: A diagnosis of AMI can be made sooner when the 12-lead ECG
is obtained before the patient arrives in the hospital than if the
ECG is performed after arrival.
Source: Circulation 2000; 102 (suppl I):I-175
Reference: Circulation 2000; 102 (suppl I):I-175 , column 2,
paragraph 2.

Statement: The use of out -of hospital ECG's and a chest pain
evaluation form leads to more rapid initiation of reperfusion therapy
without substantially delaying out-of hospital time.
Source: Circulation 2000; 102 (suppl I):I-175
Reference: Kereiakes DJ, Gibler WB, Martin LH, Pieper KS, Anderson
LC. Relative importance of emergency medical system transport and the
prehospital electrocardiogram on reducing hospital time delay to
therapy for acute myocardial infarction: a preliminary report from
the Cincinnati Heart Project. Am Heart J. 1992;123:835-840.

Karagounis L, Ipson SK, Jessop MR, et al. Impact of field transmitted
electrocardiography on time to in-hospital thrombolytic therapy in
acute myocardial infarction. Am J Cardiol 1990;66 786-791.

Grim P, Feldmen T, Martin M, et al. Cellular telephone transmission
of 12-lead electrocardiograms from ambulance to hospital. Am J
Cardiol. 1987;60:715-720

Kudenchuck PJ, Ho MT, Weaver WD, et al. Accuracy of computer
interpreted electrocardiography in selecting patients for
thrombolytic therapy: MITI Project Investigators. J Am Coll Cardiol.
1991;17 1486-1491.

Statement: A 12-lead ECG transmitted to the hospital speeds diagnosis
and shortens time to fibrinolysis.
[...]

Statement: The US National Heart Attack Alert Program recommends that
EMS systems provide out-of-hospital 12-lead ECGs to facilitate early
identification of AMI and that all advanced life saving vehicles be
able to transmit a 12-lead ECG to the hospital.
Source: Circulation 2000; 102 (suppl I):I-175
Reference: National Heart Attack Alert Program Coordinating Committee
Access to Care Subcommittee. Staffing and equipping emergency medical
services system: rapid identification and treatment of acute
myocardial infarction. Am J Emerg Med. 1995;13:58-66.

Statement: Multiple studies have shown the feasibility of obtaining a
12-lead ECG during the out of hospital period.
Source: Circulation 2000; 102 (suppl I):I-175
Reference(s): Weaver WD, Cerqueria M, Hallstrom AP, et al.
Pre-hospital-initiated vs hospital initiated thrombolytic therapy:
the Myocardial Infarction Triage and Intervention Trial.  JAMA.
1993;270:1211-1216

Karagounis L, Ipson SK, Jessop MR, et al.  Impact of field
transmitted electrocardiography on time to in-hospital thrombolytic
therapy in acute myocardial infarction.  Am J Cardiol 1990;66
786-791.

National Heart Attack Alert Program Coordinating Committee.  Access
to timely and optimal care of patients with acute coronary
syndromes-community planning considerations: a report by the National
Heart Attack Alert Program.  J Thromb Thrombolysis.  1998;6:19-47

National Heart Attack Alert Program Coordinating Committee Access to
Care Subcommittee.  Staffing and equipping emergency medical services
system: rapid identification and treatment of acute myocardial
infarction.  Am J Emerg Med.  1995;13:58-66.

Kereiakes DJ, Gibler WB, Martin LH, Pieper KS, Anderson LC.  Relative
importance of emergency medical system transport and the prehospital
electrocardiogram on reducing hospital time delay to therapy for
acute myocardial infarction: a preliminary report from the Cincinnati
Heart Project.  Am Heart J.  1992;123:835-840.

Foster DB, Dufendach JH, Barkdoll CM, Mitchell BK, Prehospital
recognition of AMI using independent nurse/paramedic 12-lead ECG
evaluation: impact on in-hospital times to thrombolysis in a rural
community hospital.  Am J Med.  1994;12:25-31.

Aufderheide TP, Kereiakes DJ, Weaver WD, Gibler WB, Simoons ML.
Planning, implementation, and process monitoring for prehospital
12-lead diagnostic programs.  Prehospital Disaster Med.
1996;11:162-171

Aufderheide TP, Hendley GE, Woo J, Lawrence S, Valley, V, Teichman
SL.  A prospective evaluation of prehospital 12-lead ECG application
in chest pain patients.  J Electrocardiol.  1992;24(suppl):8-13.

Statement: The 12-lead ECG stands at the center of the decision
pathway in the management of patients with ischemic chest pain, and
delays in obtaining the 12-lead must be eliminated.
Source: Textbook of Advanced Cardiac Life Support, American Heart
Association, 1997
Reference: Chapter 9: 9-13.  Textbook of Advanced Cardiac Life
Support, American Heart Association, 1997

Statement: ...short door to needle times are often due to the
alerting function of the pre-hospital 12-lead ECG, which is becoming
routine in EMS systems in most cities.
Source: Textbook of Advanced Cardiac Life Support, American Heart
Association, 1997
Reference: Chapter 9: 9-14.  Textbook of Advanced Cardiac Life
Support, American Heart Association, 1997

Statement: Early diagnosis and treatment of AMI significantly reduces
mortality.
Source: Textbook of Advanced Cardiac Life Support, American Heart
Association, 1997
Reference(s): Brouwer MA, Martin JS, Maynard C, et al.  Influence of
early pre-hospital thrombolysis on mortality and event free survival.
 (the MITI randomized trial): MITI project investigators.  Am J
Cardiol.  1989;13:998-1005

Statement: The full spectrum of emergency personnel - physicians,
nurses, emergency medical technicians, paramedics, and all allied
healthcare personnel - needs to know the core principles of diagnosis
and treatment of the acute coronary syndromes.
Source: Textbook of Advanced Cardiac Life Support, American Heart
Association, 1997
Reference: Chapter 9: 9-1.  Textbook of Advanced Cardiac Life
Support, American Heart Association, 1997

Statement: A 12-Lead ECG transmitted to the hospital speeds diagnosis
and shortens time to thrombolysis.
Source: Textbook of Advanced Cardiac Life Support, American Heart
Association, 1997
Reference(s): Grim P, Feldmen T, Martin M, et al.  Cellular telephone
transmission of 12-lead electrocardiograms from ambulance to
hospital.  Am J Cardiol.  1987;60:715-720

Karagounis L, Ipson SK, Jessop MR, et al.  Impact of field
transmitted electrocardiography on time to in-hospital thrombolytic
therapy in acute myocardial infarction.  Am J Cardiol 1990;66
786-791.

Kudenchuck PJ, Ho MT, Weaver WD, et al.  Accuracy of computer
interpreted electrocardiography in selecting patients for
thrombolytic therapy: MITI Project Investigators.  J Am Coll Cardiol.
 1991;17 1486-1491.

Statement: Prehospital 12-lead ECG's and a chest pain check list lead
to more rapid prehospital and hospital care.
Source: Textbook of Advanced Cardiac Life Support, American Heart
Association, 1997
Reference(s): Weaver WD, Cerqueria M, Hallstrom AP, et al.
Pre-hospital-initiated vs hospital initiated thrombolytic therapy:
the Myocardial Infarction Triage and Intervention Trial.  JAMA.
1993;270:1211-1216

Pre-hospital 12-lead reduces hospital door to drug time.
An interesting study was presented at EMS Today 2000 in Orlando,
Florida in March 2000.  Paramedic Kenneth White and others studied
the effect of pre-hospital 12-lead ECG on emergency department door
to drug times and on scene times.  The study compared 429 patients
without pre-hospital 12-lead ECG to 279 patients with pre-hospital
12-lead ECG.  The study noted that pre-hospital 12-lead extended on
scene times by an average of 3.7 minutes.  The study also noted that
in the emergency department door to thrombolytic drug administration
was reduced by 16.5 minutes in the pre-hospital 12-lead group.
GWD

Statement: Recording an ECG increases time spent on the scene of an
emergency by only 0-4 minutes.
Source: Circulation 2000; 102 (suppl I):I-175
Reference(s): Weaver WD, Cerqueria M, Hallstrom AP, et al.
Pre-hospital-initiated vs hospital initiated thrombolytic therapy:
the Myocardial Infarction Triage and Intervention Trial. JAMA.
1993;270:1211-1216

National Heart Attack Alert Program Coordinating Committee Access to
Care Subcommittee. Staffing and equipping emergency medical services
system: rapid identification and treatment of acute myocardial
infarction. Am J Emerg Med. 1995;13:58-66.

Foster DB, Dufendach JH, Barkdoll CM, Mitchell BK, Prehospital
recognition of AMI using independent nurse/paramedic 12-lead ECG
evaluation: impact on in-hospital times to thrombolysis in a rural
community hospital. Am J Med. 1994;12:25-31.

Pantridge JF, Adjey AA, Webb SW. The first hour after onset of acute
myocardial infarction. In: Yu PN, Goodwin JF. Progress in Cardiology.
Philadelphia, Pa: Lee & Febiger, 1975:173-178.

Statement: Many studies have shown significant reductions in
hospital-based time to treatment with fibrinolytic therapy in
patients with AMI identified before arrival by a 12-lead ECG. Time
savings in these studies range from 20 to 55 minutes.
Source: Circulation 2000; 102 (suppl I):I-175
Reference: Foster DB, Dufendach JH, Barkdoll CM, Mitchell BK,
Prehospital recognition of AMI using independent nurse/paramedic
12-lead ECG evaluation: impact on in-hospital times to thrombolysis
in a rural community hospital. Am J Med. 1994;12:25-31.

Aufderheide TP, Kereiakes DJ, Weaver WD, Gibler WB, Simoons ML.
Planning, implementation, and process monitoring for prehospital
12-lead diagnostic programs. Prehospital Disaster Med.
1996;11:162-171

Aufderheide TP, Hendley GE, Woo J, Lawrence S, Valley, V, Teichman
SL. A prospective evaluation of prehospital 12-lead ECG application
in chest pain patients. J Electrocardiol. 1992;24(suppl):8-13.

BEPS Collaborative Group. Prehospital thrombolysis in acute
myocardial infarction. Eur Heart J. 1991;12:965-967

How often is general weakness a sign of AMI?
General weakness is considered an anginal equivalent.  I have often
wondered how often general weakness is due to acute myocardial
infarction.  A recent study completed by Art Durbin and Diane Bartman
from Hemet California may help give us a clue.  The study examined 52
cases of general weakness from a group of 1075 pre-hospital care
reports.  ICD-9 codes were used to elicit a diagnosis.
Acute Myocardial Infarction was the cause of the general weakness in
5.8% of the patients in this group.  This made Acute Myocardial
Infarction the 4th most common cause of general weakness behind
syncope (23.1%), sepsis (15.4%), and respiratory failure (7.7%).
Direct correspondence to: Art Durbin, RN, MICN, BS, EMT-P, 3527
Anchorage St., Hemet, CA 92545
GWD

Lists
A.  Indications for pre-hospital 12-Lead EKG's.
B.  Indications for transcutaneous pacing
Indications for pre-hospital 12-Lead EKG's.
Our instructor program concentrates on the role the 12-lead ECG plays
in acute coronary syndrome.  The 12-lead ECG is useful for a number
of cases aside from acute coronary events.  Here is a partial list
derived from my personal notes on electrocardiography.  Indications
for a 12-lead ECG include...
1.      Chest pain or anginal equivalents (dyspnea, syncope, near syncope,
weakness, DKA, diaphoresis disproportionate to the environment,
palpitations, etc.)
2.      CVA (CVA is often associated with large anterior wall MI's and/or
dysrhythmias)
3.      Pre and post cardio-version of stable patients
4.      Post cardio-version of unstable patients (including post arrest)
5.      Suspected electrolyte disturbances
6.      Overdose (unknown or suspected anti-depressant)
7.      Blunt chest trauma (only after transport or more urgent care)
8.      Dysrhythmia (to aid in the cause and diagnosis of the dysrhythmia)

9.      Respiratory failure
10.     Ventricular failure (CHF)
I'm sure you can come up with many more.  GWD.
Indications for transcutaneous pacing
Indications for stand-by pacing.  Stand-by pacing is used for
patients with decent heart rates when sudden bradycardia or asystole
is expected.  Some of the electrocardiographic criteria for use of
stand-by pacing includes:
·       Sick Sinus Syndrome
·       New of presumably new Bundle Branch Block in suspected AMI
·       Alternating LBBB and RBBB (Bilateral BBB)
·       RBBB with alternating anterior and posterior fascicular block
(trifascicular block)
·       BBB with first degree heart block (especially if new onset during
AMI)
·       Large anterior-septal or extensive anterior AMI
·       True second degree type 2 block, even if it appears only briefly
and does not effect BP.
Stand-by pacing is not just having the pacer pads ready on the squad
bench.  You should apply the pads to the patient, set the rate at
least 30% or so below the patients intrinsic rate, and adjust the
output to a level expected to achieve capture (60-80 milliamps) Some
sources recommend trial pacing to ensure the output you selected will
capture the heart.
GWD
Does Performing a 12-lead ECG reduce mortality?
Statement: A retrospective study of the US National Registry of
Myocardial Infarction database showed a mortality benefit (reduction
in mortality) for patients with AMI identified by an out-of-hospital
12-lead ECG. The in hospital mortality rate was 8% among patients
with an out-of-hospital ECG and 12% among those without an
out-of-hospital ECG.
Source: Circulation 2000; 102 (suppl I):I-175
Reference:Canto JG, Rogers WJ, Bowlby LJ, French WJ, Pearce DJ,
Weaver WD. National Registry of Myocardial Infarction 2
Investigators. The pre-hospital electrocardiogram acute myocardial
infarction: is its full potential being realized? J Am Coll Cardiol.
1997;20-1482-1489

Do paramedics administer Aspirin when indicated?
Two abstacts presented at the 19th annual EMS Today Conference
indicate we have a compliance problem. Karen Donnahie presented a
paper that demonstrated a dismal (36%) of patients with symptoms
consistent with suspected acute coronary syndrome received Aspirin.
Jennifer Hauler and David Hostler displayed an abstract that also
showed poor (38%) compliance with aspirin administration. There was a
similar abstract presented last year. This is consistent with what
I've been finding in QI studies for the past few years. When will we
change? For information on contacting the authors of these studies
call me (Gary) at 352-466-0965 or e-mail at [EMAIL PROTECTED] P.S.
Hello to Karen Donnahie, my "Old Faithful" buddy and David Hostler, a
graduate of my 12-lead ECG Instructor program. Thanks for the great
research.