3 paramedics join SWAT team

By Shannon OBoye
Staff Writer
Posted March 10 2002
The Fort Lauderdale Police Department's SWAT Team recently added
three firefighter/paramedics to their ranks, bringing the total to
eight.

The new SWAT medics went through an 80-hour SWAT school at the end of
last month and participated in monthly training with the rest of the
team last week.
The first Fort Lauderdale firefighters joined the SWAT team at the
end of 2000.

They carry medical kits instead of high-powered assault rifles and
pistols, but otherwise they are full members of the team.

At least two medics respond with the SWAT team to hostage situations,
to barricaded subjects and to serve drug search warrants. They know
the lingo and the tactics, wear the same camouflage uniforms, and use
the same radios.

Having paramedics on the team means SWAT members, victims and even
assailants can get potentially life-saving medical attention quickly.

The Miami Police Department was the first to team up with the local
fire department, adding medics to their SWAT team in 1979, according
to Jim Etzin, executive director of the International Tactical EMS
Association. Today, firefighters are members of approximately 300 of
the 1,400 SWAT teams nationwide, Etzin said.

During a real callout, "the medics won't go into a structure with us
because they have no way of protecting themselves," said Police Sgt.
James Polan. "But if we need them, we'll call them up."

To date, no SWAT medics have had to treat anyone during a crisis, but
if the situation does arise, their special training will allow them
to get much closer to the action than regular firefighters, said
Battalion Chief Bill Findlan,

"In situations where a person can't be brought out, we're equipped
and trained to go in," Findlan said. "Obviously, we don't go in on
our own. But with them covering us, we can treat a patient."

One member of the SWAT team, Detective Sgt. Mike Dew, went through
paramedic training several years ago, but it is difficult for someone
to maintain the skills when they rarely have to use them.

"The Fort Lauderdale firefighters are absolutely proficient in
emergency medical care," Etzin said. "Who better to provide that
service?"

Police Captain Scott Israel said the 38 members of his SWAT team put
aside any rivalries between the police and fire departments and
accepted the medics into their elite group.

"When they saw the firefighters running as hard, climbing as hard,
sweating as hard, they realized they are equals," Israel said.

Dr. Nabil El Sanadi, Director of Emergency Medicine at Broward
General Medical Center, said adding SWAT medics to the team is "an
extra, added safety measure" that will give the police officers peace
of mind. He went through Fort Lauderdale's SWAT training in June
2000.

"Having the gear, having the training, knowing how they think, how
they talk, which way they're going to go ... means they can
participate more effectively at a closer range," El Sanadi said.

Shannon O'Boye can be reached at [EMAIL PROTECTED] or
954-356-4597.