Just for everyones interest, I manager to clear of these virtual
messages by going into "settings, "Mail", then account info for
mobileme account and turning "Mail" off until the Mail app came up
with a bunch of error messages. I then turned mail on in Account info
screen and - Presto!! they had all gone.
I didn't need to delete the account after all Sam, something I was
dreading doing, but thanks again for your suggestion as it made me go
into "settings" and trying a few things before taking the radical
action.

Andy