Thanks Chris, I will certainly look into that.

I have also found that I can share the drive connected to my iMac via the
Sharing system preferences then on the MacBook I can 'Go > Connect to server
..." in the Finder and then the MBA can see the drive in Time Machine. Of
course the iMac has to be on for that to work ...

Much appreciated.

Stephen

On 8 May 2012, at 13:04, Chris Webb wrote:

> Stephen,
>
> The problem is the way the disk is formatted, or partitioned.
>
> You just connected the disk and started using it as the destination for your
> TimeMachine backups.
>
> Before you continue, be aware that TimeMachine backups written to network
> attached storage devices are written to 'sparseimage' disk image files
> whereas backups written to directly connected hard drives are written to a
> directory structure under backups.backupsdb (IIRC)
>
> Solution:
>
> Copy all the data off the current backup destination and repartition the disk
> with a GUID partition map. Connect to the airport express and away you go.
>
> Or
>
> Get a new external hard drive, partition it with a GUID partition map and use
> that.
>
> Chris Webb . Partner
> MacService
> Woodside, Brightling Road
> Robertsbridge, East Sussex, TN32 5EL
> t: 01580 881212
> f: 01580 881313
> m: 07770 960632
> e: ch...@macservice.co.uk
> w: www.macservice.co.uk
>
> On 8 May 2012, at 12:47, itsagr...@mac.com wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I currently have my TM backup disk connected directly to my iMac. My partner
>> has just got a MacBook Air and I would like that to be wirelessly backed up
>> if possible when he switches it on at home and connects to the network - I
>> feel it will never happen if it has to be taken up to the study and we have
>> to disconnect and reconnect USB cables!
>>
>> I was considering getting an AirPort Extreme and then connecting via our
>> existing Netgear DG384(?) but I've just read this on the Finder Help:
>>

>> "Time Machine can’t back up to an external disk connected to an AirPort
>> Extreme, or to an iPod, iDisk, or disk formatted for Windows.
>>
>> The most common format for a Time Machine backup disk is Mac OS Extended
>> format, but Time Machine also supports Mac OS Extended (Case sensitive,
>> Journaled) and XSan formats.
>>
>> If the disk is partitioned using the Master Boot Record (MBR) partition
>> type, some partitions may not be available for use with Time Machine. The
>> GUID Partition Table (GPT) partition type is recommended.
>>
>> If your backup disk is on a network, the network server must use Apple File
>> Protocol (AFP) file sharing, and both your computer, and the networked
>> backup disk, should have Mac OS X 10.5.6 or later. The AFP disk must also be
>> “mounted” (available to your computer).
>>

>> So does this mean the only way to back up wirelessly is to buy a wireless
>> router other than AirPort Extreme and connect the disk to that? I don't have
>> a network server (As Far As I Know!) so what is the simplest option?
>>
>> Thanks for any help.
>>
>> Stephen
>>

>> "XL Lynx Cool Metal - a unique silver shower gel with fine quartz and zinc
> [...]

An economist believes that a group of the 5 smartest humans on earth, when
locked in an empty vault, will find a way to make a sandwich if the demand for
one is great enough. - Unknown