My time machine is on one partition of an external disk drive. Sometime in the
last day (I don't know what I have done to produce this) a padlock has appeared
on the disk icon, and I cannot make any changes. On the Get Info window it
shows "custom" in the privilege column, ignores all my attempts to change to
read& write, TM can no longer back up to it and if I try to open it I get a
message:

'The folder “McBLaCieTM” can’t be opened because you don’t have permission to
see its contents'.

I could erase the disk and start again but it would be useful to know what to
do in case it happens again.

Regards

John