The photos on the iPad will consist of two sections, the camera roll and photos
synced from his PC.

First thing is to plug into iTunes and do a full backup (not a sync). Just stop
the initial sync, right click the iPad and select Back Up. This will give you
something to restore the iPad from if you find your photos have all gone.

The camera roll can be imported but the synced photos might be more
troublesome. Apple would usually assume that you have copies of those photos on
your PC because that's where they came from, does he still have his PC hard
drive? It might be easier to explore data recovery on that.

PicsAid might also help http://www.digidna.net/products/picsaid

Regards

Sam
MacAmbulance
Providing affordable Apple & PC services

Sam Mullen
07747 778022
http://www.macambulance.co.uk
i...@macambulance.co.uk