Hi Philippe,

Safari>Preferences>Security>"Enable Java"

Warn your Mum there is also an "Enable JavaScript" check box in these
preferences.

Make sure her installation of Java is up to date via software update for
best security and watch the news for any hint of Java problems which
recently do seem to crop up now and again.

If she upgrades to Mountain Lion, Java is automatically switched off after a
period on non use - but if she uses it a lot this will not be a problem.

Regards, Paul Owen (From a very quiet Heathrow T5, and very happy to answer
you question to kill the time.)