I found that if I log in as Administrator I can view the TM log just fine and
all appears well. It's backing up again as I write. Thanks again for the app
suggestion Jason.

There are quite a few logs I can't see as my usual login as I don't have Admin
rights for my normal user. It means that I do have do think before I do
something silly ... :)

Stephen

On 22 Nov 2013, at 17:00, Jason Davies <ophioc...@me.com> wrote:

> On 22 Nov 2013, at 16:25, itsagr...@mac.com wrote:
>
>> One question with TME: I'd switched off TM via its big switch and let TME do
>> its thing. A short while ago the TM menu bar item showed it was backing up
>> and it now agrees by giving the last backup time on its menu. However, TME's
>> Window>Show Time Machine Logs window is empty after a refresh. Is this just
>> because I'm an ordinary user rather than an administrator and so have no
>> access to the log files?
>
> it changed recently. It used to change TM's preferences but now I think it
> runs in the background and does it 'manually' in an automated way. In
> practice, that means that TM seems to be switched OFF but does retain the
> note of the last back-up time because TME made it update. I suspect your
> answer is in there somewhere (ie it doesn't log it because TM is not doing it
> automatcially. Maybe the log 'belongs' to TME now? Have a look and let us
> know;)

"I feel that staring at the net and reading more and more about what is coming
[regarding our energy situation] is like staring into the lights of an oncoming
car. You get more info about what is coming but you really should be getting
out of the way." - Lastdrop