I have an iMac upstairs which I want to connect to the home network via
ethernet through a BT powerline adaptor to the Home Hub downstairs. At the
moment it is connected via wi-fi. My wi-fi connection has begun to fail to work
continuously, dropping off every few minutes.
Question 1. Can anyone advise why it has begun to do this? (the error messages
I get are “Looking for networks” and “Wi-Fi is turned on but is not connected
to a network" I have noticed a proliferation of new networks  appearing in my
neighbourhood - about 6 similarly named BT networks now, when a few years ago I
was the only one. Might this be the reason?)
Question 2. Obviously it would be more sensible to link my computer via the
ethernet as described above. However such is my lack of confidence/ knowledge
that when I have tried to do this (creating a new name location each time) that
the IoS automatic network joining feature doesn’t seem to work any more. Also
I’m not sure if the powerline adaptor needs to be reconfigured in some way -
you used to have to take an adaptor and put it close to another one and press
buttons etc…

Phil