Gird your loins for the long haul if it turns out to be anything like my
support experience.  …

Once I copy the tracks onto CD I intend to rip them back so that I have them as
tracks from ‘my own CD’. That way I will be able to listen to them on my iPod
whatever stunt Apple pulls in future … that’s the plan anyway!

Just for a little amusement (ahem), I found these in some of my replies to
Apple support (you may get the sense that my patience had been wearing thin by
this time!):

Can I also say how much I appreciate emails from you which don't endelessly
repeat such fawning phrases as "Stephen, your inquiry is very important to me",
"I can certainly appreciate how eager you are to get this issue resolved and I
would be happy to help you with this.", "Thank you for being a part of the
Apple Family. Have an excellent day."  and "Thank you for allowing me to assist
you and for being a valued Apple customer. May you have a cheerful and fruitful
day! " which I've had from many Apple employees discussing this issue. These
boilerplate replies make me feel as though I'm being treated like a wide-eyed
13 year old. Maybe it sounds OK in the "Have a nice day!" culture we are led to
believe is so prevalent in the USA, but here in England it is very irritating
and comes over as trite and insincere. Your emails, by contrast, treat me like
and adult and say what needs to be said and politely which I very much
appreciate. :)

This was my iTunes problem which was, thankfully, eventually resolved:

Support Subject : Authorization
Sub Issue : Troubleshooting authorization problems
See additional info below
OS version: Mac OS X 10.6
Country: United Kingdom
iTunes version: iTunes 9.0
iTunes account name: only.conn...@mac.com <mailto:only.conn...@mac.com>
Specific request: I can't authorize my system to play purchases
Details:
My original iTunes account was opened with an Apple ID of
elemen...@ntlworld.com <mailto:elemen...@ntlworld.com> in 2004.

In November 2005 I signed up to .Mac and changed my iTunes/Apple ID to
only.conn...@mac.com <mailto:only.conn...@mac.com>.

I had made many purchases of Protected music using the 'elemental' account. I
still have all the receipts. Since then they have played fine on my original
iPod, my iPod 5th Gen and my current iPod touch 2nd generation. In that time I
have gone from my original 15" iMac to my current Intel 20" iMac.

However, today something happened and iTunes now tells me that there are 288
songs I can't play and will be deleted from my iPod if I don't authorise my
computer. If I click Authorise it comes up with the dialog and the Apple ID in
there is elemen...@ntlworld.com <mailto:elemen...@ntlworld.com>.

If I enter my current password it doesn't like it.

If I enter my only.conn...@mac.com <mailto:only.conn...@mac.com> Apple ID and
current password it tells me that my computer is already authorised.

If I leave the 'elemen...@ntlworld.com <mailto:elemen...@ntlworld.com>' Apple
ID in the text field and click 'Forgot Password?' button it takes me to an
Apple web site page that, after a moment or two, tells me that that Apple ID
does not exist.

Now I cannot play the songs bought from elemen...@ntlworld.com
<mailto:elemen...@ntlworld.com> account on my iMac or on my iPod touch. It
seems that the only way that I 'could' is to authorise it using an Apple ID
which no longer exists using a password that I have forgotten!

I don't know what happened today - it may be that I logged in as Administrator
whilst my iPod was still connected to iTunes for my user account. I really
don't know but what I do know is that 288 songs that I have paid for will no
longer play.

What do I do?

iTunes 9.03
OS X 10.6.2
iPhone/iPod OS 3.1.3

Stephen

David Dinsmore, managing editor of the S*n discussing their decision to publish
photos of Prince Harry naked:

"This is about our readers getting involved in the discussion with the man who
is third in line to the throne - it's as simple as that."