Nick,

It does the same for me on the latest macOS (time for
https://www.apple.com/feedback/mail.html )!

What ‘works’ is selecting the Attachment button (paperclip) instead of Photo
Browser, in the sidebar choose Photos and then do your best to navigate to the
image you want. I personally find the Photo browser from here fairly rubbish
and I usually export photos from Mail on to the Desktop and attach them or just
share them from Photos.

It’s a bit rough and problematic and I’m surprised Apple haven’t sorted it
after all this time.

Stephen

Fish are the last to recognise water