Have a look at About this Mac->Storage. If you click on 'manage' it may may be useful. Eg I found many gigs of iOS updates recently from the last couple of years. It does take time to scan the drive so leave it open for a little while and come back to it.

Otherwise, I think you can expect every OS update to need more hard drive and RAM so you're going to have to find ways to archive stuff somewhere by the sound of it. It'll need more virtual memory, I expect and that needs lots of space on the HD.

cheers,