I've had decent results from starting older macs from SSDs even with USB 2 so it's worth a try as with USB 3 or 4/thunderbolt it ought to be okay.

As for shares, I remember wondering about buyng a few (have never bought shares) in about 1997, when they were $11 IIRC!

I've pretty much settled into only upgrading a macOS once or twice, then putting it off. The performance hit is too great even when they are supported officially. And I've learned to buy more RAM than I imagined I could ever need, as even with swap to SSD you notice the difference.

cheers,
Jason