Lovely Smuggers

My elderly father (he'd hate that description) has done brilliantly online,
but his aging iMac is now routinely unable to connect to various sites etc
(regardless of which browser I steer him to etc). I would guess from memory
the iMac must be at least 12 years old. He's had his money's worth!

He really resents the idea of spending current prices as he's not a tech
fan and only wants to email, online bank, browse Brighton HA FC website and
browse iPhone photos he's taken that sync etc. That said, he doesn't want
to do that on an iPad as prefers the familiar, and my mother too.

I realise there's been big underlying OS architecture changes recently, but
guess that so long as he's on a version within the last 2-3 versions, he'd
be ok?

I was wondering...

1. Maybe a question for Sam specifically, if we (you?!) simply put an SSD
in his machine, could he upgrade OS to something at least usable?

If not..

2. Before I buy perhaps a refurb from somewhere like MacFinders, just
wanted to check nobody within driving distance of them in Eastbourne isn't
about to sell something that will do them just fine!? At least I can save
you any eBay fees!

Anyway, thought I'd ask and mention. You're always all so darn kind and
helpful. Thanks for reading this far!

Ciao

Adam