Hi folks,

Currently a victim of USB-C connectors and cables all looking the same, would appreciate anyone who’s grasped it all better chipping in.

I have three USB C Apple devices:
- ipad Air 2020
- iPhone 15
- Macbook Pro 2022

At work we’ve shifted offices to ‘agile working’ ie you find somewhere and plug in a laptop. This connects via USB C to a hub with two monitors than run through DisplayLink. That obviously only works on the Mac.

But the monitors are [Dell 2421DC](https://www.amazon.com/2560x1440-DisplayPort-Delivery-Advanced-P2421DC/dp/B089G947J3) which will run HDMI, USB-C and Displayport.

So there are days I have hardly any time at the desk and I was hoping I could run one of the monitors from my iPad Air (or even phone) and have a BT keyboard, for days I don’t fancy lugging the MBP in.

So I tried connecting via USB C directly using the cable that came with the iPad Air (or perhaps the iPhone, not sure ) which I believe is data and power. If I connect my phone to the mac, it seems to register a data connector and prompts for ‘Trust this computer’. But none of them would connect to the display. I found the setting to switch to the USBC input to no avail.

I believe this should work so the likely candidate is the cable (I don’t have others to try). Or I could buy an HDMI to USB C cable but I’d rather not as that will eventually join the drawer full of adaptors that are no longer relevant. A USB-C cable will get longer use (and also charge the device). But which one? And have I missed anything here, maybe it’s *not* the cable…

Would be really helpful to be able to do this some days; I’m not sure I trust the large open area as a place to leave the laptop (my own, everyone else uses university-issued Dells and hates them) and some days I come and go a lot. The iPad would be a much better device to be using on those days, easy to slip into a large pocket.

Cheers for any help,