I think it's now fairly standard. It basically means 'ok, you may now be subject to identity theft, so here you go, you keep an eye on things'.

However cynical I might sound (and be), I do recommend keeping an eye on things;)

Anything major relating to your finances (eg someone applying for a loan or credit card) should show up there.

Cheers,