I also revisited my posts about this last year before purchasing the cable,
and remember this problem arose:

*Turns out that if you have your iPad plugged in to your TV and choose to
download a purchased film, it detects the cable and opts (in secret) to
download in a format suitable for mirroring.*
*If you're not plugged in at the time, it doesn't offer any option, merely
downloads suitable for iPad and then refuses to mirror.*

Seems odd that it's now working at home. Wondering if it all depends what
you're trying to mirror to and rather hit and miss as to what will / will
not work on the day?!?!