On 7 February 2017 at 09:25, Michael Hudson-Doyle <
michael.hud...@canonical.com> wrote:

> I think this makes sense as a way to distribute Go to people who want to
> use Go on their machines. I maintain a PPA with backports of new versions
> of Go to older releases of Ubuntu but it's a bit fiddly and snaps would be
> better (and also get cross distro coverage). I think to get to the point of
> it being a good general distribution mechanism, we need:
>
> 1) testing (so that's everyone who's downloaded it so far)

More of this would be nice, but...

> 2) pick a better snap name, or set of snap names (go-16, go-17, go-18 or
> go16, go17, go18 or something else?)

The snap is now called 'go' and makes use of the newly announced 'tracks',
with current tracks being 1.6, 1.7 and 1.8. If you don't specify a track
you'll get 1.7 for now, but 1.8 soon when that is released (possibly
tomorrow).

> 3) get it into the stable channel

Now done, for 1.6, 1.7 and latest tracks. Hopefully soon I'll set up
autobuilds of tip going to edge.

> 4) building in Launchpad would surely be nice to get better architecture
> coverage

Not quite there yet, but soon.

Cheers,
mwh