Rosh Hashanah

When is Rosh Hashanah?

1st and 2nd of Tishri, this year it's the 26th and 27th of Sept. 2003
Fri. and Sat.

Why do we celebrate Rosh Hashanah?
On this day we reaffirm our acceptance of God as our King. The Jewish people believe on this day God judges all of His creations and decides on their fate in the coming year.  The NC Scriptures tell Believers: "There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Messiah Yeshua (Christ Jesus), who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit." Romans 8:1.

Rosh Hashanah is two days long even in Israel. Only one day in the Bible It's called one long day.

What does Rosh Hashanah mean?
There are four possible names for this Festival.

Yom Teruah
The Day of Sounding. On this day we sound the Shofar (ram's horn).

Rosh Hashanah
The New Year. This is the most popular name of all.

Yom Hadin
The Day of Judgement. This is a time for thinking about how we can improve our lives for the future. It is a time for preparing ourselves for Yom Kippur (The Day of Atonement) on the 10th of the month. See Daniel 7:9-10.

Yom HaZikaron
The Day of Memorial (Remembering). This refers to the fact that God remembers about all living creatures and does not forget any of us. We remember all His has dome for us! We ask for mercy on this day, and we are assured He will grant it if our hearts are right.

What are the customs of Rosh Hashanah?
1. The Shofar
The Torah commands us to sound the shofar on Rosh Hashanah. A person should hear 100 blasts from the shofar on each day of Rosh Hashanah. The shofar is made from an animal horn, preferably from a ram.
There are three sounds made with the shofar:

Tekiah - one long blast.
Shevarim - three shorter blasts.
Teruah - a series of quick blasts.

See our page on Sounding The Shofar -  http://www.mayimhayim.org/Shofar.htm

There are many meanings for why we blow the Shofar on Rosh Hashanah. The sound of the shofar serves as a "wake-up" call to arouse our souls to repentance. The sound of the shofar was present when we received the Torah. Thus when we hear the shofar we are reminded to strengthen our commitment to the Torah. The sound of the shofar (which is usually made from the horn of a ram) reminds us of when Abraham tied down his son Yitzchak (Issac) to sacrifice him to God, as God had told him, and God stopped him at the last second and gave him a ram to sacrifice instead.

2. Foods
Food places an integral part of many of the Jewish Festivals, and Rosh Hashanah is no exception. The Challah
For Rosh Hashanah, the traditional shape of the challah is round, remembering God is King.

On the Sabbath and other holidays, after the blessing and before partaking of the challah, it is dipped into salt. On Rosh Hashanah, it is dipped in honey. This custom symbolizes our hope that the coming year will be sweet New Year.

Apple Dipped in Honey
After dipping a sweet apple into honey, the blessing over fruit is recited plus the additional prayer: "May it be your will to renew for us a good and sweet year."
The symbolism of the honey here is also connected to a sweet year.

Head of Sheep or Fish
Some partake of this and say: "May it be your will that we should be at the head and not at the tail."

3. Doing Tashlich
Tashlich, from the root word which means "to cast away" is the practice by which Jews go to a flowing body of water and symbolically "throw away" their sins. This occurs in the afternoon of the first day of Rosh Hashanah or the second day if the first falls on Shabbat (Saturday). This practice is based on a verse from the book of the Prophet Micah where it says, "And Thou wilt cast ("ve-tashlich") all their sins into the depths of the sea" (Micah, 7:19)

To do Tashlich, you basically go to a running body of water. A river, sea, or lake are the best choices, but we have done in pool as well letting the backwash take our bread away. Once there, several prayers are recited. And that's it. The water has symbolically carried away your sins and you are free to start over. 1 John 1:9 tells us we can do this anything we have need. "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness." This is Tashlich!

4. Greetings
On the first night of Rosh Hashanah, there is a custom that people exchange the following greeting: "May you be inscribed and sealed immediately for a good life." Believers know that they have been inscribed and sealed by the Holy Spirit of God.

In some Sephardic communities, the greeting is, "May you be inscribed for a good year; may you be worthy of abundant years." We are worthly just because we are in Messiah Yeshua, no other "right standing" can we claim.

5. No Sleep In The Afternoon
This is just as it sounds, some people do not take a nap on Rosh Hashanah afternoon. The source for this custom is a saying in the Jerusalem Talmud, "If one sleeps at the year's beginning (Rosh Hashanah), his good fortune likewise sleeps."

You can also find more info at these links on-line, enjoy:

1) http://www.ou.org/chagim/roshhashannah/

2) http://www.everythingjewish.com/RoshH/RH_origins.htm

3) http://www.torahtots.com/holidays/rosh/roshclr.htm

4) http://www.akhlah.com/holidays/roshhashana/shofar.asp  (This one lets you hear the Shofar Blast)

And finally, from all of us at Mayim Hayim Ministries, we pray you will have a wonderful and healthy  New Year in our Lord Yeshua...

Chag Sameach,
Love,
Barbara, Dee, Rabbi Mike, Adah  <><

<<image001.gif>>