They Just Wanted to Do Shots and Drink Corona

A "Viva Mexico" fraternity party at Duke University in North Carolina was demeaning to students of Mexican heritage and proof that intolerance against all minorities is pervasive on campus, reports the Durham Herald-Sun.

The party thrown by the Sigma Chi fraternity was promoted with fliers that look like green cards and featured a mock border patrol checkpoint at the front door. The fraternity said it was in no way intended to make a political or social statement about Mexico.

But student Sandra Sánchez said the party "disgusted and outraged" her. "Everything that I am -- my family, customs, culture and language -- was violated," she said.

The usual demands following such incidents were made of Duke -- diversity indoctrination for members of the fraternity, better recruitment and support of Latino students and a stronger Latino Studies program. The administration immediately acceded.