September 30, 2003 -- 'SEX and the City" will start in repeats next June on TBS.

"We think of this as virtual original programming," said Steve Koonin, TBS executive vice president/chief operating officer. "This is a show that only a third of the country has seen but everyone has heard about.

"We're making it available in 90 million homes versus HBO's 32 million homes."

The TBS "Sex" repeats will air twice a week, in prime time, and will continue when the series begins its daily syndicated run on Ch. 11 in September 2005.

Koonin, citing "competitive" reasons, declined to say what days of the week, and in which timeslots, the TBS "Sex" repeats will air.

"Sex" kicks off its final eight episodes in January.

The "Sex" repeats on both TBS and Ch. 11 will be edited to remove the show's nudity and profanity.

"Sex" won't completely disappear from HBO, which has the right to continue running the series until September 2005.

If HBO decides to do that, "Sex" would be airing concurrently on HBO (pay cable), TBS (basic cable) and Ch. 11 (broadcast).

The series, starring Kim Cattrall, Sarah Jessica Parker, Kristin Davis and Cynthia Nixon, has packed a one-two punch with "The Sopranos" to become the two most popular series in HBO history.