glad Siegfried used his first name instead of his last name

-------Original Message-------

Date: Monday, October 06, 2003 09:24:49 AM
Subject: [Sndbox] Show Stopping Siegfried and Roy show canceled indefinitely-- As the extent of

Show Stopping
Siegfried and Roy show canceled indefinitely -- As the extent of Roy Horn's injuries from a tiger mauling are still unknown, officials announce that the show won't go on

Though doctors are now ''cautiously optimistic'' about Roy Horn's condition after Friday's mauling by a tiger during a performance at Las Vegas' Mirage Resort, the long-running Siegfried and Roy show has been indefinitely canceled, according to the Associated Press. All of the show's employees, about 267, are out of a job, and Mirage officials have reportedly vowed to help the displaced workers find new employment. ''We are worried about him, but we also basically lost our jobs,'' 42-year-old Mary Bryan, a single mother who worked with the entertainers, told AP.

Siegfried and Roy's act, consisting of Horn and longtime partner Siegfried Fischbacher performing magic-cum-big-cat taming, has been a Las Vegas crowd-pleaser for more than 35 years. In 2001, the pair signed a lifetime contract with the Mirage, and performed six shows a week, 44 weeks per year.

In a statement on their website (www.siegfriendandroy.com), Fischbacher says, ''For more than four decades, I have had the great privilege of standing at the side of this remarkable man, and I will continue to do so during this very challenging time.''