Rush responds to critics
Tells listeners he's not figuring out how to 'lie' about drug story

1:40 p.m. Eastern

© 2003 WorldNetDaily.com

Rush Limbaugh responded to critics on his national radio show today, saying his silence on the drug-use charges published by the National Enquirer does not mean he is trying to figure out what he has "to lie about."

On Friday, a day after allegations surfaced that Limbaugh's former housekeeper, Wilma Cline, supplied the talk-radio host with painkilling pills for four years, Limbaugh told listeners: "I don't yet know what I'm dealing with here, folks. When I get all the facts, when I get all the details of this, rest assured I will discuss this with you and tell you how it is."

Some critics claim his statement meant he was waiting "so I can figure out what I have to lie about."

Addressing that charge, Limbaugh said on his show this morning: "That is not what is going on. I am waiting to find out what I am facing legally. Until I know, I cannot say anything.

"When such time comes, fear not, what there is to be known will be known, and I will tell you.

"I am not holding anything back and am not determining what it is I have to lie about. This is simply a matter of waiting until it is permissible."

The first hour of Limbaugh's show today was devoted to discussing the other major story on Limbaugh from last week – his comment on ESPN's pre-game show saying Philadelphia Eagles' Donovan McNabb was overrated by the media because journalists wanted to see a black quarterback succeed.

Limbaugh resigned from his position as an ESPN sports commentator after the story broke and he was hit with charges of racism.

On his show today, Limbaugh played sound clips of various commentators addressing the ESPN flap and reviewed the Rush-less show that broadcast on the sports network yesterday.

Limbaugh said he went out of his way not to talk about politics on the ESPN show, but tried to keep his comments to football.

Listeners criticized the talk-show host for resigning from the show and not fighting the racism charges.

Limbaugh downplayed the importance of his appearance on the program.

"That show was a hobby for me; it was a weekend gig …" Limbaugh explained. "My radio program is my full-fledged, 100-percent devoted-to business."

Continued Limbaugh, "I thought I was doing a helpful thing for [ESPN] by … removing myself from the mix. … Maybe I was wrong."