Bank robber description: He's ugly, smells bad, has sore feet

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
GALLAGHER
GALLAGHER

A robber who hit two Miami banks Wednesday blamed his crimes on homely looks and body odor, police said.

But it was sore feet that did him in.

After shuffling out of his second bank heist in 20 minutes, police said Daniel Gallagher stopped to rest his weary soles.

So he plopped down on a grassy swale -- within sight of a police officer quizzing a witness.

''His feet were tired,'' said Detective Delrish Moss, a police spokesman. ``He's a bank robber. I didn't say he was brilliant.''

Gallagher's short-lived career as a holdup man began about 10:30 a.m., when he walked seven blocks from his apartment at 1210 NE First Ave. to the Citibank at 1790 Biscayne Blvd. Police say Gallagher threatened to detonate a bomb unless the teller handed over $100. His ''explosive,'' police later learned: a cold can of Miller beer in a bag.

The teller handed over the cash and triggered a silent alarm.

''He's leaving as the officers arrive, and figures they're busy and won't notice him,'' Moss said.

He walked down the block to the TotalBank. Same beer can. Another hundred bucks.

Gallagher then ambled about 100 feet and sat down, Moss said.

Standing outside the Citibank: Officer Rayford Shipman, asking a witness for a description.

'And she looks over and says, `There he his!' '' Moss said.

Shipman walked up to Gallagher and placed him in custody.

At headquarters, Gallagher revealed his motive.

'He said, `I'm ugly and I smell bad, so I can't get a job,' '' Moss said. ' `I gotta get money somehow.' ''