Democratic Presidential Candidate Clark Visits South Florida

The Associated Press

SUNNY ISLES BEACH, Fla. (AP) - Democratic presidential hopeful Wesley Clark waded into the South Florida political landscape Monday, touting his party credentials while calling President Bush's record "reckless, radical and wrong."

The retired Army general met several hundred enthusiastic supporters at a deli once frequented by singer Frank Sinatra. Hoisting himself up on a wooden chair, Clark told the largely elderly, Jewish audience about his father's work as a local Democratic Party boss in Chicago.

Recalling his nearly 40 years in the military, Clark said Bush's first term led him to seek the presidency.

"It hurts me greatly when I look around this country and see all that I believed in being unraveled," Clark said.

There was no immediate comment Monday from the White House.

Clark, battling a sore throat, told the crowd: "Losing your voice, I guess, is the first thing that happens to you when you start to run for office. They told me the second thing is you start to lose your handshake."

"I'm afraid to ask what the third thing is," he said.

Clark was meeting with supporters later in the day and attending a local Democratic meeting.