Good write up.  I really need to get that book 1984.

David L.

Ben Franklin:  “Only a virtuous people are capable of freedom. As nations become corrupt, they have more need of masters.”

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]On Behalf Of Charles
Sent: Friday, October 10, 2003 9:38 PM
To: 'The Sandbox Discussion List'
Subject: [Sndbox] The Intolerance Of

The Intolerance Of
The Tolerance Movement

By
Bob Ellis

Today's Bestselling
CLICK HERE

Are Cops Racist?
How the War Against the
Police Harms Black Americans.

by Heather Mac Donald

Mac Donald looks at allegations of racial profiling, and finds them wildly exaggerated, and writes about the black cops you never heard about, biased press coverage of policing, and how the reduction in urban crime as a result of activist policing has benefited black communities. Her findings demolish the prevailing anti-cop orthodoxy. … Read more

Bias
Bias:
A CBS Insider Exposes How the Media Distorts the News

by Bernard Goldberg

In nearly thirty years at CBS News, Bernard Goldberg earned a reputation as one of the preeminent reporters in the television news business. When he looked at his own industry, however, he saw that the media far too often ignored their primary mission: to provide objective reporting. Again and again he saw that the news slanted to the left. …
Read more

Invasion
Invasion:
How America Still Welcomes Terrorists Criminals & Other Foreign Menaces to Our Shores

by Michelle Malkin

"The 19 hijackers who invaded America on September 11, 2001, couldn't have done it without help from the United States government," charges Michelle Malkin. "We unlocked our doors, spread out the welcome mat, and allowed these foreign visitors to plot death and destruction in the comfort of our home. And they could do it again in a heartbeat." …
Read more

Coloring the News
Coloring the News : How Crusading for Diversity Has Corrupted American Journalism
by William McGowan

A fellow at the conservative Manhattan Institute, presents evidence in which, reporters and editors got stories wrong or ignored topics worthy of coverage because of their liberal ideologies and their fear of offending African-Americans, gays or feminists. (Admitted to by many of the journalists later.)  … Read more

You Don't Say
You Don't Say
by Fred Gielow

Prominent, influential liberals reveal with their own words they are anti-religion, anti-family, anti-truth, anti-freedom even anti-civilization! "You Don't Say" exposes liberals hidden agenda … Read more

The Federalist Papers
The Federalist Papers :
In Modern Language

Indexed for Today's Political Issues by Mary E. Webster

Mary Webster has performed a great service by editing the Federalist Papers into modern language and indexing them for present-day political issues
… Read more

Why Men Don't Iron
Why Men Don't Iron :
The Fascinating and Unalterable Differences Between Men and Women by Anne & Bill Moir

So much for the politically correct sacred gender cows of feminism and the cultural marxists. The authors blend research data and an entertaining writing style to make this among the best books on understanding the differences between men and women …
Read more

Communism : A Brief History
Communism :
A Brief History

by Richard Pipes

The tragedy of communism is that its history was anything but brief. This is a devastating critique of Marxism, Leninism, Stalinism, and everything else that fits under the awful rubric of Communism … Read more

The Anti-Federalist Papers and the Constitutional Convention Debates
The Anti-Federalist Papers
and the Constitutional Convention Debates

Ralph Ketcham (Editor)

Many of the anti-government ideas of today have their roots in the Anti-Federalist currents circulating at the time of ratification of our Constitution. Thank the Anti-Federalists for our the Bill of Rights …
Read more

The Burden of Bad Ideas
The Burden of Bad Ideas
by Heather MacDonald

Surgically exposes the hypocrisy and revisionism taking place in our looney-bins of higher learning, charitable foundations, and government programs. Demand this provocative woman as a guest on your favorite talk show — and by all means, buy her book now! Read more

The Black Book of Communism
The Black Book
of Communism

by Stephane Courtois, et al

Communism killed 25 million in Russia, perhaps 65 million in China, 2 million in Cambodia, millions more in Africa, Eastern Europe, and Latin America … Read more

CLICK HERE

Toogood Reports [Weekender, October 12, 2003; 12:01 a.m. EST]

At the risk of joining Rush Limbaugh in the doghouse, I'm going to weigh in on a race matter. The Philadelphia Inquirer and a number of other media outlets have reported a September 10 incident at Abington Memorial Hospital in Philadelphia where hospital supervisors told minority employees to stay out of a patient's room after the patient's husband demanded that only white staffers assist in the delivery of their baby. Black employees complied with the wishes of the patient and her husband, but now there is quite a furor with the NAALCP (National Association for the Advancement of Liberal Colored Peoples) fanning the flames and the hospital publicly flagellating itself in an effort to appease the gods of political correctness.

While I do not condone racism, let's get some perspective on this issue. The patients weren't dining at a restaurant and refusing to be served by a black waiter. It's not as if they were refusing to be attended by a black checkout person at Wal-Mart, where they could easily leave and go buy their toys at Bigots-R-Us. They were at the hospital for urgent medical care. Shouldn't social agendas take a back seat to urgent medical care? I think we'd all agree that it was wrong decades ago when some hospitals turned black people away because they were "white only" hospitals. I submit that it's as equally wrong to essentially "turn away" a patient because they don't want to be around certain people, or to force them to be around people they just don't want to be around. If the patients were there for an ingrown toenail, a consultation, or some other non-urgent matter, it would be one thing. It would be perfectly right and fair to tell them they could either accept treatment from black employees, if that's the way it worked out, or go look for a local Klansman Memorial Hospital to meet their needs.

What was this hospital there to do? What do they exist to accomplish? What is the hospital's primary mission? Is it to force everyone within their sphere of influence to accept and live by their agreed-upon standard of social mores and behavior? Was their primary purpose for existence to ensure equal treatment of all their employees? (I'm sure if you're a liberal, you'd probably say "yes"). Do we build hospitals to teach racial harmony and acceptance? Or do we build hospitals to provide medical needs, especially those that require urgent care.

Were the patients racists? Oh yeah! Are they ignorant? Yeah. Are they ill-informed? Yeah. Are they showing the world what backward bigots they are? Oh yeah! But shouldn't people have the right to free association? Shouldn't people have the right to make idiots of themselves, so long as no one else is done any real harm? Are the black hospital employees offended? I'm sure; I would be, too. But is being offended "real harm?" I don't think so.

Should the hospital tolerate discrimination from its own employees? Never! Should it turn a blind eye to discrimination committed by outside professionals with whom it has dealings? No! But the patient is not a part of the institution! The patient does not work there, and the institution has no enforcement authority over the patient, other than reporting criminal activity to the police. Most of us loathe prejudice and bigotry. And though you can bet I know right from wrong, permit me to ask you to recall for a moment that the world out there is rapidly losing touch with right and wrong; right and wrong are becoming defined, not by absolutes, but by what is socially and politically accepted. Right now the genuine bigot may be on the wrong side of that definition. But to support attitudinal enforcement on a patient by a hospital is to invite some possibilities you may not find too pleasant.

Would you want to be forced to undergo medical treatment by a transsexual drag-queen? Would you want to be forced to be attended by a medical official in the advanced stages of AIDS? Would you like to be forced into medical care administered by a pedophile, someone who proudly practices bestiality, or a Satan-worshipper with blasphemous or profane tattoos all over his body? I'm not defending any of these people or practices, but all of them are becoming "protected classes" within our society, so there may come a day when your objections will be ignored, and you will be called a backwater bigot. It's not too much of a stretch to imagine a hospital barring you from praying or reading a Bible in your hospital room, if they disagree with it. After all, practically every hospital accepts government funds, which is the universal test of "church and state separation" enforcement in schools and other institutions. We are in great danger of making any and all institutions an arm of the PC police. It's guaranteed, if we continue down this road of forcing our opinions on others as long as those opinions are "socially accepted."

I know a number of you will call me a racist; that's the most convenient charge to throw around these days when someone disagrees with the party line on racial issues. But it wouldn't be true. Though I am white, I have had many friends with skin darker than mine over the years. One of my two best friends in the first grade was black. I served with many black people during my time in the Armed Forces. During my military time, I was once very fond of a black woman; she was such a good friend that she was not only supportive of me, but would chew me out when I did something stupid (which was too often in those days). My best-man at my wedding was a black man, who was also my best friend. I will soon be teaching about the origin of the different human ethnicities in my Genesis and Creation class at church. In that class, I will be teaching that all humans have a common ancestor in Noah and Adam, and that we are all beloved children of God. I will also be teaching that we are commanded not to show favoritism (James 2:9) just as God himself does not show favoritism (Romans 2:11). I also believe Galatians 3:28 when it says, "There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus." And I teach my children to sing and believe in the song: "Red and yellow, black and white, all are precious in His sight, Jesus loves the little children of the world."

There was no good way to deal with this situation; none whatsoever. Someone had to get "hurt" no matter how it was handled. I don't condone the unnecessary offense suffered by the black employees of that hospital, but less real harm was likely done by going this route than by the alternatives: forcing the patient and her husband to drive around until they found another hospital, or have the husband arrested for disturbing the peace. Neither of those methods is going to change the minds of the racists. But the hospital employees might just plant the seed of change through the shame the patients might feel by acting like a horses hind-end while the hospital employees acted with nothing but compassionate professionalism.

I would have expected the black employees to behave as professionals, to peacefully step up to the plate and show themselves to possess superior moral fiber to that of the bigoted patients. From all reports, they did just that, though their excellent testimony was marred by much complaint at a later time.

So I hope that, though it's not popular to go against the racial grain these days, you'll at least consider this perspective and give it a fair hearing. The intolerance of the tolerance movement is getting pretty rabid. I understand the need to promote enlightenment and racial harmony. But we're getting dangerously close to the world of the "thought-police" in George Orwell's "1984" when we consider it a greater priority to protect someone from being offended than to attend the medical needs of a patient in distress; to treat those needs in a manner that is (a) efficient, and (b) diminishes their unease.

And if that leaves me in the doghouse, so be it. I'm in pretty good company. Move it on over!

© Copyright 2003 — This report, is submitted by the writer for publication exclusively in Toogood Reports, but remains the property of its author and may not be reproduced in whole or in part without the writer's express prior written consent. The opinions and facts expressed herein are those of the writer alone, who is solely responsible for its contents, and does not purport in any way to represent Toogood Reports, its owners or its management.

To comment on this article or express your opinion directly to the author, you are invited to e-mail Bob at [EMAIL PROTECTED].