Found this on a search of Ken Tillery:

Ken Tillery and Jesse Dirkhising

Posted on Thursday, August 15, 2002 at 10:49 AM
(link) (trackback-0)

From the I Want To Know department: Why has the name Ken Tillery suddenly shot to the top of my search-engine keyword list? I wrote an item back in February about Ken Tillery, and it was little-noticed in all the time since, until Monday.

Suddenly on Monday my traffic almost quadrupled, and the one reason why was Ken Tillery. From Google, from Yahoo, from far and wide they came, people looking for more information about Ken Tillery. I don't mind it, of course, and re-reading the piece I find my opinion unchanged since then, but I would like to know the reason for the sudden interest. Please, can someone tell me what happened Monday? Did Rush Limbaugh mention him on the radio? Did Bill O'Reilly mention him on television? None of the inbound traffic is coming from another web page, it's all search engines, so I'm clueless.

Ken Tillery Update
To recap, a variety of conservative organizations have siezed on the lack of media furor over Ken Tillery's horrible death as an example of media bias, a sort of hate-crime double-standard. If James Byrd's death achieved international attention, why not Ken Tillery's? Some would have you believe that it is because Ken Tillery wasn't black. I think that those people are stretching reality to fit their own views. The two crimes were not in any way equivalent, even without the racial factor.

A better example of a double-standard might be the case Jesse Dirkhising and Matthew Sheppard, but even then things aren't black and white. Matthew Sheppard was cruelly killed because of his lifestyle, and Jess Dirkhising was killed by people practicing that same lifestyle. Little Jesse's death was more cruel than Matthew Sheppard's, more vile in every way. Based on that, it passes the test that Ken Tillery's horrid death fails. Is is an exact mirror-image of Matthew Sheppard's murder? Maybe. The point is debatable, but it could certainly have been debated. However, there is one important factor that kept Jesse Dirkhising's murder from achieving nationwide attention. Jesse Dirhising was a little boy.

Reporting crimes involving sex and children is a dicey issue. Most news organizations have policies against such things. A bizarre policy, really, that almost enforces the concept that the victim is responsible in some way for the crimes perpretated against him or her, but still the policy lives on. Once a victim's name is known, most news organizations won't report the details of sex crimes, and that goes doubly so for minors. Overall, it's not a bad policy, but it does tend to lead to people "missing out" on stories like Jesse Dirkhising's.

By the way, I think another factor in the coverage the two stories received was the wishes of the familes involved. The Dirkhising family didn't hold a lot of press conferences or participate in media interviews. They apparently wanted to grieve for their little boy and be left alone, a very understandable reaction. The Sheppard family, on the other hand, clustered around television cameras and demanded coverage of the crime. That is also a very understandable reaction. In my view, almost any reaction to the loss of a family member is understandable, from silence to wailing to anything legal.

Bias?
Do I think that "the media" is biased? Sure! We're all biased. It so happens that the majority of people working in network news, for example, vote Democrat and trend liberal. The majority of people working in talk radio, on the other hand, vote Republican and trend conservative. This isn't intentional, it's just a reflection of views. I never think before saying something, "Is this the proper Libertarian view?" and I'm pretty sure Dan Rather doesn't vet his script with the DNC. He's just personally liberal and that's reflected in his newscasts.

Most of all, people are biased toward money. Rush makes money serving as a mouthpiece for the RNC and clossing over pesky details. Dan Rather makes money mouthing homey platitudes and glossing over pesky details. Both serve their audiences reasonably well. And so it shall always be.

David L.