Upright
Editorial Exegesis
Dezinformatsia
Sociocrats
Village Idiots
Short Cuts

______----********O********----______
THE FOUNDATION

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." --John Adams

______----********O********----______
INSIGHT

"Your money does not cause my poverty. Refusal to believe this is at the bottom of most bad economic thinking." --P. J. O'Rourke

"Another plague upon the land, as devastating as the locusts God loosed on the Egyptians, is 'Political Correctness.'" --Charlton Heston

"Two things...have staggered me....The first has been the dangers that have so swiftly come upon us in a few years, and have been transforming our position and the whole outlook of the world. Secondly, I have been staggered by the failure of the House of Commons to react effectively against those dangers." --Winston Churchill, 1936 ++ "All is over. Silent, mournful, abandoned, broken, Czechoslovakia recedes into darkness....We have sustained a defeat without a war." --Winston Churchill, 1938

"Every noble crown is, and on earth will forever be, a crown of thorns." --Thomas Carlyle

"Great men are the guide-posts and landmarks in the state." --Edmund Burke

"I like to come to Washington, D.C., at least once a year. Why should my tax money travel more than I do?" --Bob Hope

______----********O********----______
UPRIGHT

"If you gave an infinite number of monkeys an infinite number of typewriters, would they eventually write a speech for Howard Dean?" --James Taranto **Yes, but apparently one monkey with one typewriter will do!

"There's something terribly wrong when an American soldier overseas can't receive Scriptures in the mail, but a Muslim chaplain can preach freely among al-Qa'ida and Taliban enemy combatants at Guantanamo Bay." --Michelle Malkin

"I'm hoping for the best, but I have my doubts. The presence of so many movie stars and Kennedys on his [Schwarzenegger's] victory podium is not a great portent." --Jonah Goldberg ++ "[T]he firing of Davis is a completely reasonable instance of democracy, justified by the completely natural desire people tend to have of wanting to keep some of their money." --Paul Jacob

"America has an educational system worthy of David Duke.... Most black leaders have simply sold out the future of black kids to teachers unions." --Rich Lowry

"The French, it isn't a question that they are not our friends anymore, they are leading the world against the United States every time that we turn around. It just wasn't against us going to war in Iraq, every single time that they turn around they are subverting the efforts, to try and make themselves more important in the world. France is insignificant to the world." --Sen. John Ensign ++ "There is only one decent and humane reaction to the fall of Saddam Hussein: good riddance." --President George W. Bush

"The good news is that the White House got a highly credible and eminently qualified individual -- veteran UN weapons inspector David Kay -- to head its investigation into Iraq's weapons of mass destruction. The bad news is that no one seems to be paying the least bit of attention to the facts reported by Mr. Kay to Congress on Oct. 2." --Helle Dale

______----********O********----______
EDITORIAL EXEGESIS

"There simply are no more excuses when it comes to opposing school choice. The financial bottom line constantly changes, but the academic bottom line remains unchanged -- the longer a child stays in DC Public Schools, the worse off he becomes. [DC Delegate Eleanor Holmes] Norton and [Sen. Ted] Kennedy seem to find it in their liberal hearts to advocate civil rights and freedoms all the time. Yet, both lawmakers have vowed to do anything and everything possible to deny poor families the opportunity to send their children to non-public schools on the taxpayers' dime. Both lawmakers insist that pouring more money into DC Public Schools will 'fix the system'." --Washington Times

______----********O********----______
DEZINFORMATSIA

This week's "Hyper-Hypocrisy" Award: "[Clinton] was charged with -- he was charged with those things by lunatics. He was never legally charged... I mean the fact is -- the fact is, yes, I - I - I do think she was an extremist." --Time's Joe Klein on why Arnold's accusers are serious whereas Juanita Broaddrick was an extremist lunatic

This week's "Leftmedia Puffery" Award: "It's impolite to say that Mr. Bush has damaged our national security with his military adventurism, but it would be dishonest to pretend otherwise." --Paul Krugman ++ From the "Garbage in -- Garbage out" Department, "[N]ow that it's over, does anyone see any reason for our having invaded Iraq?....Good thing we won the war, because the peace sure looks like a quagmire.....These are early days, certainly, to attempt a full historical evaluation....Iraq is in chaos, and apparently the only way we'll be able to stop it will be to kill a lot of Iraqis. Just what Saddam Hussein used to do." --Molly Ivins ++ From CNN, the Commercial Nuisance Network: "I think the press was muzzled, and I think the press self-muzzled. I'm sorry to say, but certainly television and, perhaps, to a certain extent, my station was intimidated by the administration and its foot soldiers at Fox News. And it did, in fact, put a climate of fear and self-censorship, in my view, in terms of the kind of broadcast work we did....The entire body politic...did not ask enough questions, for instance, about weapons of mass destruction. I mean, it looks like this was disinformation at the highest levels."– CNN's Christiane Amanpour

This week's "Leftmedia Machiavellian" Award: "Attorney General John Ashcroft has earned himself a remarkable distinction as the Torquemada of American law. Tomás de Torquemada...was largely responsible for...[the] torture and the burning of heretics -- Muslims in particular. Now, of course, I am not accusing the Attorney General of pulling out anyone's fingernails or burning people at the stake (at least I don't know of any such cases). But one does get the sense these days that the old Spaniard's spirit is comfortably at home in Ashcroft's Department of Justice." --Walter Cronkite

This week's "Leftmedia Buster" Award: "The falsely bleak picture [painted by the media] weakens our national resolve, discourages Iraqi cooperation and emboldens our enemy." --Demo Rep. Jim Marshall

______----********O********----______
SOCIOCRATS

From the "Thundering Herd of Jackasses": "This is haphazard, shotgun, shoot-from-the-hip diplomacy.... [Bush and Cheney should apologize] for having misled America, for not having kept his promises of working adequately within the international community, not having built a legitimate international coalition, not having exhausted the process of the inspections. And, most importantly, not having gone to war as a matter of last resort, which is what he promised to America." --John "Ketchup" Kerry ++ "Now I have a proposal that's supported by 50 members of Congress to create a Cabinet-level department of peace which seeks to make nonviolence an organizing principle in our society; to tap that capacity we have to evolve; to be better than we are; ...to evolve to a point where we can work with the world community to pursue that dream in a world where we can be the ones who work to make war itself archaic." --Dennis Kucinich ++ For the record... "I think [President Bush's] tax cuts are a disaster, and I'd repeal all of them." --Howard Dean

Regarding the "Thundering Herd of Jackasses": "That is an absurd feat of imagination, I guess. We have been supportive to all of the candidates running in any way that they have requested information...from either Bill or me, advice that they would solicit. We are not supporting or endorsing any candidate...I think someone very formidable is going to come out of this process...." --Hillary, on claims she and her husband are supporting the candidacy of Wesley Clark to further their own political ambitions ++ "Bottom line: 'She's not running. She's not running.'" --HILLPAC's Patti Solis Doyle ++ And then there were nine: "The Democratic Party supports Sen. Bob Graham and his decision to withdraw from the presidential race, in what was no doubt a tough decision for him and his family." --DNC Chairman, Terry McAuliffe

This week's "Gender Disorientation Disorder" Award: "On behalf of the DNC, I would like to recognize Saturday, October 11, 2003 as the 16th Annual National Coming Out Day. Coming out as a gay, lesbian, bisexual, or transgender (GLBT) American is a tremendous act of courage....In 36 states, it is legal to fire someone who is otherwise qualified simply because they identify as GLBT....While President Bush continues to use attacks on GLBT Americans as a political strategy, Democrats continue to work toward creating an environment that makes it easier for all GLBT Americans to come out." --Terry McAuliffe

This week's "Las Clintonista Leftovers" Award: "It's of keen interest to me to see whether or not we can get Karl Rove frog-marched out of the White House in handcuffs." --former Clinton diplomat Joe Wilson who later recanted, "I freely admit I got carried away. If I left the impression that Karl Rove was the leaker or approver of the leak, I didn't intend to."

______----********O********----______
VILLAGE IDIOTS

This week's "Village Victimitis" Award: "One cannot keep these detainees in this pattern, this situation, indefinitely.... The open-endedness of the situation and its impact on the mental health of the population has become a major problem." --Christopher Girod, Red Cross senior official in Washington on the terrorists held in military detainment camps **Need we remind the Red Cross about the "mental health" of the family of 9-11 victims?

This week's "Village Ignorati" Award: "There's nothing wrong with responding [to terrorism]. It's how do you respond...our government is incredibly violent and aggressive and rapacious. And we want to control those regions. It's beyond a response." --Actor Viggo Mortensen

Sometimes they get it right: "I don't care if [Arnold Schwarzenegger] got just two more votes [than Cruz Bustamante], it's a mandate. The only way to take [the California gubernatorial recall election results] is that we lost. As far as I'm concerned, just own up to it. It's over. We're done. We're dead." --Democrat political consultant Joe Cerrell

______----********O********----______
SHORT CUTS

"You know, really, if I had an opportunity to shoot Britney Spears, I think I would." --Maryland First Lady Kendel Ehrlich **We'll second that!

Hillary's book ("Living History") is nowhere to be found. The [Barnes and Noble 'Year-to-Date Bestseller'] list only goes to No. 100, so there's no telling where she ranks, but it is below the No. 95 book, which is called -- we kid you not -- 'Captain Underpants and the Big, Bad Battle of the Bionic Booger Boy, Part 1.'" --James Taranto

"2nd down and 2 from the 27 yard line. Pittman showing more change of direction than Arianna Huffington, breaking a tackle and picking up a first down." --Al Michaels calling an NFL game last week

"Schroeder and Chirac are so contemptible they should be on the Internet or in Hollywood raising money for Howard Dean." --Jeff Babbin, American Prowler

"The Los Angeles Times became a journalistic Manhattan project, working late into the night on every possible calculation to nuke the Terminator." --Jonah Goldberg

"Perhaps every election day everywhere should be preceded by recalls of current incumbents." --Paul Jacob

Jay Leno.... As I'm sure you know, Arnold was declared the winner last night just one minute after the polls closed. 8:01! So see that, Florida, at least we can count! Yeah! .... President Bush called Arnold to congratulate him today, and after he got off the phone Arnold said, "I thought my English was bad." .... And former Governor Gray Davis spent the day today revoking the driver's licenses of all the illegal aliens that didn't vote for him. .... You know, if you love the recall, you're gonna love the recount, that's what I have to say. It's not over.

David Letterman.... Top Possible California Newspaper Headlines For Tomorrow: "135-Way Tie Throws State Into Confusion"; "Gray Davis Fails To Convince Self To Vote For Self"; "Governor Gary Coleman Names Lieutenant Governor Urkel"; "Recall Election Just Elaborate 'Punk'd' Prank"; "Screw The Recall, How Did The Cubs And The Red Sox Get In The Playoffs?"; "Millions of Californians Move To Nevada"; "Confused Al Gore Demands Recount"; "Bush Reminds Nation 'You Can't Recall a President'."

Argus Hamilton.... Rush Limbaugh told his listeners Friday he is checking into a rehab to detox from his Oxycontin addiction. Just don't let him blame it on a back operation. He needed massive quantities of painkillers after Bill Clinton survived impeachment. .... Hillary Clinton agreed to emcee a Democratic fundraising dinner in Iowa next month. She absolutely refuses to run for president. It's the hardest decision she's had to make since three years ago when she was forced to select a home state. .... Al Gore called the California recall a Republican hijacking of democracy. He issued millions of recorded phone messages on election day. The problem is, when everyone hears Al Gore's voice on the line they think it's the dial tone and hang up. .... Don Rumsfeld spoke at the Ronald Reagan Library in Simi Valley on Friday. He said he's very surprised that Saddam Hussein's supporters are still fighting. Republicans can never understand why the Democrats don't just roll over and play dead.

Lex et Libertas -- Semper Vigilo, Paratus, et Fidelis! Mark Alexander, Publisher, for the editors and staff. (Please pray on this day, and every day, for our Patriot Armed Forces standing in harm's way around the world in defense of our liberty, and for the families awaiting their safe return.)

-- PUBLIUS --

SUBSCRIBE: FREE by E-mail! Get your own subscription to The Federalist!
Link to -- http://Federalist.com/subscribe/
or if you don't have Web access, send a blank e-mail to: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
(Friday's Federalist Digest is available in print for $245/year. For more information, send a message to <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>)
TRIAL SUBSCRIPTION: Send The Federalist to your friends and associates!
Link to -- http://Federalist.com/addmultiple.asp
PRIVACY NOTICE: We do NOT release ANY information on our users or subscribers to any third party under any circumstances, nor do we accept any third party advertising to our lists.
REPRINT AND FORWARD POLICY: Subscribers may reprint or forward The Federalist, in whole or part. If reprinting to another publication, please include the appropriate citation [The Federalist (Federalist.com)] in accordance with "fair use" rules, and our Subscriber/User Disclaimer. (For questions, contact our legal department at: [EMAIL PROTECTED]).
PATRIOT'S LIBRARY: Link to -- http://Federalist.com/books/

UNSUBSCRIBE: Click on the "Manage your subscription" link at the top of this edition, or if you don't have Web access, send a blank e-mail to <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

SUPPORT THE FEDERALIST! We are not sustained by any political, special interest or parent organization, and we accept no advertising. Our mission and operations are funded entirely by the voluntary financial support of our Patriot readers -- like you! (To avoid IRS restrictions on our editorial content, we do not declare "charitable" tax status)

Support Online -- http://Federalist.com/support.asp

Support by Mail -- make your check payable to "The Federalist" and please note your e-mail address on your check so our publisher can thank you. Suggested support levels: Family Defender -- $25, Frontline Patriot -- $50, Company Command -- $75, Battalion Command -- $100, Regiment Command -- $250, Division Command -- $500, Corps Command -- $1000. (Family and Frontline supporters are critical to our success.) For more information on joining The Federalist Founder's Circle of major donors, contact <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Send your contribution to:
Federalist Patriot Fund
P.O. Box 507
Chattanooga, TN 37401-0507

Help drive traffic in the "right" direction! Get a free selection of high quality (removable) Federalist stickers for bulletin boards, windows or bumpers. Include a self-addressed stamped (SASE) #10 (10" business) envelope with your donation, and we will send you our trademark slogans "Veritas vos Liberabit" (the truth will set you free), "Annoy a Leftist," and other stickers.
COMMENTS: Our servers automatically delete "Reply" messages to this e-mail. To read or submit comments for publication,
link to -- http://Federalist.com/[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Please hold your comments to 75 words if you want them posted. For other comments, e-mail <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Questions about The Federalist may be directed to Executive Editor, Mark Alexander, Senior Editor Cassandra Cornell, Research Editor John Machen, Feature Editors Jonah Walton and Brett Anthony, Legal Editor Michael Coleman, Technical Directors Jeffrey Thomas and Joshua Murray, Advisory Committee liaison Faith Long, or Subscriptions Manager Michele Hope by e-mail <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> (Regarding editing errors: We put at least one in every issue -- just to see if you are paying attention!)
ABOUT THE FEDERALIST: Link to -- http://Federalist.com/main/about.asp
Subscribers agree to the terms of the Subscriber/User Disclaimer at: http://Federalist.com/disclaimer.asp
E-mail President Bush, link to -- http://www.whitehouse.gov/webmail
Contact your Senator -- http://www.senate.gov/senators/senator_by_state.cfm
Contact your Representative -- http://www.house.gov/house/MemberWWW.html
White House switchboard: (202) 456-1414
House and Senate switchboard: (202) 224-3121
Links to Central Government Agencies -- http://www.firstgov.gov/
Visit the most comprehensive tribute to Ronald Reagan on the Internet and read the definitive conservative platform for the next century -- http://www.Reagan2020.com/
"FRUIT FROM THE TREE OF LIBERTY" The Federalist is an advocate of individual rights and responsibilities as ordained by God and established in the governmental context framed by our nation's Founders in our Declaration of Independence and its subordinate guidance, our Republic's Constitution, as explicated by The Federalist Papers. Our mission is to provide Constitutional Conservatives with a quick-reading e-journal digesting a wide spectrum of reliable information from reputable research, advocacy and media organizations -- a brief, timely, informative and entertaining survey and analysis of the week's most significant news, policy and opinion as anecdotal rebuttal to political, social and media Leftists. The Federalist is protected speech pursuant to the First (and Second) Amendment to the Constitution of the United States of America. Statement of Allegiance as subscribed by The Federalist's National Advisory Committee, Staff and Associates: "I hereby declare, on oath, that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same, so help me God."

The Federalist is a publication of Publius Press, Inc.
Copyright © 1981-2003 Publius Press, Inc. All rights reserved.
The Federalist is a Town Hall Citizen Organization
In God we trust. ><>

--- End Message ---