The original is the one you have to see...I hate
remakes..

Laurie
--- Charles <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> LOS ANGELES (AP) - If slasher movies have said it
> once, they've said it a
> hundred times: When you're young, lost and weary and
> you need a helping hand
> ... the other hand is going to be holding a hook,
> machete or chain saw.
>
> It's the standard warning preached in most
> survival-horror flicks, starting
> with "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre" in 1974 and
> retold in the likes of
> "Friday the 13th,""A Nightmare on Elm
> Street,""Halloween" and the more
> recent "Jeepers Creepers."
>
> The tale has been repeated so endlessly - and with
> so many sequels - why
> would anyone want to remake one of the originals?
>
> Marcus Nispel, the director of New Line Cinema's new
> 2003 version of "The
> Texas Chainsaw Massacre," has a simple answer:
> repetition is part of the
> fun.
>
> He described the slasher genre as modern folk tales,
> simple yarns meant to
> be told and told again, adding detail and
> embellishment as they grow.
>
> So why not pass the "Massacre" onto a new
> generation?
>
> "This is storytelling in the vein of 'Hansel and
> Gretel.' It's age-old,"
> said Nispel, a first-time feature director whose
> previous work includes
> music videos for Janet Jackson and Faith No More.
>
> "The metaphor is a simple one," he added. "If you're
> a kid or young adult in
> some hick town, some one-horse town, and parents are
> suppressing you and all
> you can do is get away, how do you rebel?"
>
> While the original was a $140,000 project that built
> an unexpected cult
> following ($30 million-plus box office) the remake,
> starring former "7th
> Heaven" actress Jessica Biel, retains the low-budget
> flavor, costing a
> remarkably low $9.5 million.
>
> Biel plays one of five stranded youths who become
> the prey of a deformed
> lunatic who repeatedly fails to follow proper safety
> guidelines when
> utilizing tree-trimming equipment.
>
> Bloody horror films remain so popular - with the
> recent box-office success
> of "Jeepers Creepers 2,""Freddy vs. Jason" and
> "Cabin Fever" - because
> teenagers and 20-somethings have a seemingly primal
> fascination with death.
>
> "It just seems so lowbrow, but there's a visceral
> thing to it. It hits you
> in the gut," said "Chainsaw" remake producer Michael
> Bay, who is best known
> for directing "Pearl Harbor" and "Armageddon."
>
> Maybe these movies are metaphors for growing up and
> breaking free from the
> horrors of adolescence ... or maybe they're just
> excuses for two people to
> get close on a first date. "In the movies, you watch
> these couples just grab
> onto each other," Bay said, laughing.
>
> Most longtime horror fans acknowledge that slasher
> [...]

=====
I wanted a perfect ending... Now, I've learned, the hard way, that some poems don't
rhyme, and some stories don't have a clear beginning, middle, and end. Life is about
not knowing, having to change, taking the moment, and making the best of it, without
knowing what's going to happen next. Delicious ambiguity.
--Gilda Radner