Colmes: Clintons Should Ignore Sexual Assault Allegations

Alan Colmes, the liberal half of Fox News Channel's top-rated debate show "Hannity & Colmes," has some advice for New York Sen. Hillary Clinton and her husband: Pay no attention to those pesky sexual assault allegations leveled against Mr. Clinton by an array of different women.

Colmes, whose new book, "Red, White and Liberal," hits bookstores on Tuesday, tells NewsMax that there's no reason that either Mr. or Mrs. Clinton should respond, for instance, to Juanita Broaddrick's claim that she was attacked, brutalized and violated by Mr. Clinton in a Little Rock hotel room 25 years ago.

"Why should he dignify [the allegation with a response]? Why should she dignify it?" he argues.

Since the TV liberal titles one of his chapters "Bill Clinton: Our Greatest President," we wanted to know how Colmes could make such a claim given the deluge of scandals that nearly washed the Clinton White House out to sea.

For instance, if allegations of sexual assault don't rankle, what about the Clinton White House's requisition of 1,100 FBI files on political opponents? Was it all just a bureaucratic snafu, as Mr. Clinton claimed?

"It could very well have been the case," the lefty talker assured NewsMax.

What about the fact that so many of Clinton's female accusers found themselves on the business end of IRS audits?

Colmes told NewsMax that he was audited when Bush 41 was president, then asked, "Should I blame him for auditing me?"

Maybe not. But if Alec Baldwin, Molly Ivins, Michael Moore and Susan Sarandon were suddenly audited, you can bet the libs wouldn't let a nanosecond elapse before pointing fingers at the Bush White House.

What about the media's full-court press in 1999 on the Bush cocaine question, with teams of investigative reporters leaving no stone unturned in a bid to discover that ever-elusive witness who actually saw Bush using illegal drugs?

Was it fair, we asked Colmes, that the press went after that story hammer and tong, when reporters covering Clinton ignored grand jury testimony as well as an account from Gennifer Flowers detailing Mr. Clinton's cocaine use?

Colmes doesn't remember it that way.

"In my book I point out that the press has done a very poor job chasing allegations concerning Bush's military service, and they practically laid off his alleged drinking and drug use and his failed business dealings," he complained.

"Clinton received much harsher treatment from the press than Bush did, period."

At least one well-placed observer agrees with the liberal talk host.

"Alan Colmes knows that facts and evidence count for more than ideological and personal attacks. ... That makes his book a must read for people all across the political spectrum," wrote Bill Clinton in a dust jacket blurb for Colmes' book.