Yep.

David L.

Ben Franklin:  "Only a virtuous people are capable of freedom. As nations become corrupt, they have more need of masters."

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]On Behalf Of Stephanie
Sent: Saturday, October 18, 2003 11:22 AM
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [Sndbox] What they really mean

When professors say this . . .They really mean this!

* This needs some minor revision. - I never actually got around to reading this.

* My office hours are by appointment only. - I like to get out of here early.

* Ten percent of your grade is based on class participation. - I'll be fudging your grades.

* This won't be on the test. - Nap time!

* Bring the text to class. - I don't have a clue how to lecture--we'll just kill time with group read-alongs.

* He's not fully up to speed on that. - He's got his head up his ass.

* I don't have the latest department guidelines. - I've got my head up my ass.

* Let's check with Dr. So-and-so on that before we proceed. - I've got my head up HIS ass.

* Talk to the department secretary. - Piss off.

* Talk to me in my office after class. - Get out of my face.

* The tests will all be multiple-choice. - I take questions directly from the study guide and have grad students do all my grading.

* Don't come in late during my lecture. - I have the attention span of a fruit fly.

* Save your questions until the end. - See above.

* The final will be comprehensive. - I'll expect you to recapitulate in two hours everything I couldn't fully cover myself in 15 weeks.

* Everyone will prepare in-class oral presentations. - This course is outside my specialty--I'll just bluff it and let YOU teach.

* There are two TAs available to help you. - I can't be bothered.

* This year I'll be scaling the grades. - I just passed tenure review.

* Let's break up into quiet discussion groups. - I have a hangover.

* Let's have class outdoors today! - I had beans for lunch.

* You won't be able to sell back the text to the bookstore. - My contract wasn't picked up.

* Please note the last day to withdraw. - The midterm's gonna suck.

* The answer to number 4 is "b," and just skip number 17. - I only got around to making up the test last night.

* The second list is optional reading. - I have a rich fantasy life.

* I haven't had a chance to make up the syllabus for this course yet. - The asshole department chair stuck me with teaching this course at the last possible minute.

* Well, it was on the syllabus. - I'll hold you responsible for this even though I forgot about it myself.

* We'll just skip the term paper this semester. - There wasn't enough in the budget for a TA.

* Bring a number 2 pencil to the exam. - See above.

* Attendance is required and will be counted in your grade. - I'm so boring that no one would show up otherwise.

* Read chapters 5 through 10. - I'm not coming in at all next week.

* We'll have to cover this chapter quickly. - I screwed up the lecture schedule.

* Let's go over the exam. - Half of you failed.

* It was in the textbook. - I pulled it out of my ass.

* Extra credit is available. - I need some shit work done.